Hair Loss <~~ Avonex??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair Loss <~~ Avonex??

I started Avonex about 2 months ago, I used to have big thick curly hair! In the last month or so my curls have disappeared and my hair has become straight, thin and it is falling out!!! I spoke with my Dr and he said that this a side effect of the Avonex and he suggested that I stop using it, I've taken his advice. If anyone else has had this experience and also stopped the Avonex did your curls come back, did the texture get better and did it stop falling out??? I'm a little stressed which I know is not good for me either. HELP!
    Amie

I did have hair loss after starting Avonex, but I can't rule out steroids as a culprit, or menopause and HRT......my hair thinning has been pretty consistent. I can't pinpoint Avonex, but listening to what you are saying, sounds like perhaps it is to blame.

I'm going to the doc in two weeks for a general physical and to get everything checked out like thyroid, B12, D, any deficiencies that might contribute.

Comment

I've been on Avonex for 3 months and haven't noticed any problems with my hair. I did have a lot of hair loss after my pregnancy and that's what led me to get my thyroid checked and now I'm on Synthroid. I would maybe ask either your neuro or your PCP to check your thyroid level.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiebeth View Post
        I started Avonex about 2 months ago, I used to have big thick curly hair! In the last month or so my curls have disappeared and my hair has become straight, thin and it is falling out!!! I spoke with my Dr and he said that this a side effect of the Avonex and he suggested that I stop using it, I've taken his advice. If anyone else has had this experience and also stopped the Avonex did your curls come back, did the texture get better and did it stop falling out??? I'm a little stressed which I know is not good for me either. HELP!

It is one of the side-effects. Call the avonex people. From what I understand, your hair will come back even if you continue. Alternatively, you can try copaxone which has no such effects.

Comment

Hello Amiebeth,

As BigA and your Doctor mentioned, a side effect from Avonex can be hairloss.

For those that are not aware of Avonex side effects please go to this URL for more information:
          http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a693040.html

I have never used Avonex but I have had a small area of hair shaved off due to skin cancer on my sclap. My dermatologist recommended Nioxin to help with regrowth...it worked.

Information on Nioxin:
          http://www.nioxin.com/en/home.aspx
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
          X