Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a NJ financial advisor

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the site and not sure where to post this inquiry but... I am 30 years old and was diagnosed last year. I am looking for a financial planner in the northern NJ area that has some experience with MS and our financial needs and goals. If anyone has a recommendation in the area for a financial planner I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi jms:
    I don't have a name for you, but instead a few things for you to think about.

Considering how relatively few people there are who have MS in a country of 300 million, there may not be many financial planners who have worked with many people with MS. But when you think about it, are the financial goals and dreams of a person with MS any different than those of anyone? If you're willing to settle for a planner who has worked with people with chronic health conditions and disabilities in general, you mighty have more luck in finding one. But if there is any source that can help you find a planner with specific experience with people with MS, it's probably the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. You can contact them through their website (www.nmss.org) or find the contact information for your local chapter there.

Liz Pulliam Weston, one of the personal finance gurus, recommends using a fee-only financial planner, who won't hard-sell you into buying financial products that may not be right for you so they can earn a commission. (You pay a fee for their services, just like you would pay a doctor, lawyer or accountant.) There are relatively few fee-only planners, but she says you can look for one on the website of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (www.napfa.org).

Many of Liz Weston's articles can be found at MSN. Here's one about financial planners: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ntTellYou.aspx. I hope you find it helpful.

Comment

thanks for the tips, I'm going to check out the websites you suggested.

Comment

Working...
      X