Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LDN: who offered it to you.. how's it helping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knuckle
    replied
    I think LDN should be the first drug tried upon MS diagnosis and user experiences indicate it is more effective at preventing exacerbations than the CRABs.

In the UK, where for-profit medicine and insurance do not distort the health marketplace, LDN is widely prescribed. If you go to www.LDNaware.org and click on the UK page you will find just about every MS organization supports LDN.

Under the USA page all the major LDN websites are listed but no MS organizations because there is no money to be made in LDN. Despite 1000s of MSers who take LDN with good results, the NMSS refuses to support any meaningful LDN research because it would offend their big pharma sponsors. It's very troubling.

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    LDN is FDA approved at a much higher dosage for getting people off opiates. I believe it's called an opiate antagonist or something like that. We take a tiny dose to only temporarily block endorphin production which then causes an increase in endorphin production later on. If you are on drugs like morphine, you can't take LDN.

It is covered by our extended health benefits thru' DH's work, but I'm in Canada - I don't know about the US drug plans.

C

Leave a comment:

• Sequoia
    replied
    Nobody offered it to me, either. I did an end run around my PCP and Neurologist and got my prescription from my Psychopharmacologist (M.D. Psychiatrist with a specialty in psychotropic medications) because LDN improves mood and I have treatment-resistant clinical depression.

LDN did in fact help with the low mood, cognition, and energy level. It also dramatically improved my bladder problems.

Sadly, I'm one of the very rare individuals who develops an allergic reaction to LDN (hives), so I can no longer take it. (And no, for any LDN-savvy people reading this, it wasn't a reaction to the filler in the capsules.)

I hope you can find a good source for yourself. Definitely check out the LDN websites for tips.

Leave a comment:

• mjan
    replied
    So.. I take it LDN is approved now?

And..do insurance pay for any of it?

Thx Jan

Leave a comment:

• Carol
    replied
    Hey Jan,

Nobody offered LDN to me. I first heard about it on the MS forums and then did my own research with a little help from others. I brought it up with my GP and he said to give him some info. I printed out a bunch of stuff and added my own comments,.

GP read it over, asked me how many mg. I wanted to start with, I found a nearby compounding pharmacy and off I went.

I started taking it more as a hedge against progression but was thrilled to find out that it completely took away my heat intolerance. I believe I have more energy as well but that could be because I'm not constantly being drained if I get overheated. I don't know if it was the LDN or not, but I'd been having trouble with a dry eye for over a year and that resolved not too long after I started taking it.

LDN has not made any difference to my sensory changes but those are minor. My worst symptom was the heat intolerance.

Have you checked out the LDN websites? There are several good ones where I got my info. Just Google LDN.

C

Leave a comment:

• mjan
    started a topic LDN: who offered it to you.. how's it helping?

LDN: who offered it to you.. how's it helping?

HI folks,

Just wondering when you could be taking LDN??
    And how has it helped you?

I am not considering DMD shots cuz of my complicating medical hx. But am considering LDN. "forgot" to mention it to my doc who is not pusing DMD shots on me.

When should I mention this to her?

Thanks folks..hope you are all doing ok today

Jan
Working...
X