traveling with MS medications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traveling with MS medications

My mother was diagnosed with MS in 1998. She is currently feeling better than she has in years, thanks in part to daily copaxone injections. We are going on a Mother/Daughter cruise to Alaska, and I was hoping for some insight on the best way to pack her meds. Any suggestions?

I don't know much about Copaxone, I take Rebif, but when i first started the drug i was given a travel kit. I'm sure all the manufacturers have them. Rebif is refrigerated I'm not sure about C. But I've traveled all over the US and internationally with my syringes in my carry on and not once have i been questioned about it. You might call the drug co. and see if you can get a travel kit if you do not have one. they love giving free stuff with their names on it

Comment

Copaxone can go 30 days without refrigeration. Of course it can't get realy hot or real cold, but at normal temps it is just fine. I have taken extended trips of multiple weeks without any problems. If a 'fridge is available I'll use it but if not it has been fine. I also found that a plastic water bottle makes a good used needle container that is easy to tote around. I was surprised on a cruise I took that they actually supplied a sharps container and disposed of the needles, I suppose they have diabetics so they are prepared to deal with sharps. Even getting through the airport has never been an issue, I just tell the X-ray person that I am traveling with meds. So go have a good trip and don't worry about traveling with C, it is easy!

Comment

You also want to take one copy of the paperwork that comes with the meds to show it is a prescription for your daughter. First time I ever flew with meds it came in handy. I've never been again questioned in the 9 years since...

Hawkeye
        "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." ~James Elliot

Comment

traveling with meds

I am not sure about traveling on the cruise, especially if you need to refrigerate medication. You might contact the cruise line now and find out if cabins have a fridge. If not, can you request a fridge, if needed, because there are probably a limited number on a first-come, first serve basis.

If you are flying, please make sure that all medications are in your carry-on or accessible bags. Do not put medication in your checked baggage, it can get lost. It doesn't hurt to have a note from your doctor for any liquids, gels or creams that you need. Non-medical liquids/gels/creams that you have a medical necessity for should be allowed with additional testing, but there are horror stories where they have not been allowed (think diabetics and juice). The label on prescribed medications with your name on it, should be enough for your medications. Any medically necessary liquid, to include over-the-counter medications, do not count in your liquid limit. If you have any problems with a screener, just politely ask to speak to a supervisor or manager and explain why you need the items.

Alot will depend on the airports you travel through. The busier airports tend to be more familiar with procedures and policies for the out-of-the-normal, but many busy airports also have a reputation of not dealing well with the public. If you have problems with any screener, don't get mad and try to deal with them, just ask for a supervisor or manager.

Comment

Shared solutions should be able to send you a little travel case for your injections.
            Steve

Comment

No matter what you are carrying, if you tell the screener it is Medical, it will be allowed. I have never had a problem anywhere. If you request, they won't even run it through the x-ray, even though there is no problem if they do. But then, I wear an upper body brace so I know everything they will need to do, makes their job easier.
              Bill
              Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
              X