Not everything is DEPRESSION !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not everything is DEPRESSION !!

I know many of you have been asked, or may have asked yourself, if you have depression. I was asked recently, (by new docs)then realized its part of the evaluation process. BUT.. I do ask myself if I may be depressed. I know what clinical depression is and dont want to be in denial. I usually respond, "yeah I think I am dying of boredom or loneliness..but.. I can change that. For I believe, I must re-discover what my "calling" is now that the "career" and life as I knew it has been affected by MS.

So.. what I hear a lot on these posts, and I am sure the docs are asking YOU is that you must be having depression.

Remember, most likely you will go through stages of GRIEf, the could've beens, should've beens.. and yes one of the stages is depression.

In my humble opinion, I think we are grieving..needing to process all the emotions that come with a life changing disaese..and that Anger is right there..with hurt/frustruation underneath.

Then there are those reminders of what we cannot do any longer..or struggle to do. AND for those that are still working and have families to care for, FATIGUE, GUILT and STRESS =FATIGUE is often beating us up.

Alot has to do with our ATTITUDE toward MS and gulp, ACCEPTANCE with a smattering of denial/defenses thrown in the mix along that process.

I personally know of "other" nutritional benefits to the brain that may improve many of the conditions/symptoms we suffer from fatigue,cog fog to depression. But does any doc offer you any nutritional help? Ever?????

Now.. if you are NOT functioning at all, remaining in bed..not eating or over eating..not sleeping or sleeping too much..emotions are exaggerated from crying to angry outbursts..to wanting to die..well..that is a different story. And a psychiatric eval would be warranted.

YET a healthy, individualized, nutritional program by a well trained specialized nutritionist, can help the brain chemistry improve..just wondered if you even knew that.

Just sayin...in my experience.

with BIG HUGS...

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Originally posted by mjan View Post
    In my humble opinion, I think we are grieving..needing to process all the emotions that come with a life changing disaese..and that Anger is right there..with hurt/frustruation underneath.
    We are grieving but if this becomes something that we get stuck in that affects our ability to continue on with our present lives and can not get past it could indicate depression. Situational depression is a very natural thing and although people process things in different time frames it shouldn't drag on and on imo.

I get what you are saying about nutrition and although I agree there are huge benefits to a individualized, healthy diet I do not think this takes the place of medication if needed. You are correct in that many doctors are lacking in advanced nutritional information and that is why nutritionists exist. I would imagine most would be happy to offer a referral if asked.

But please don't anyone wait until you are "NOT functioning at all, remaining in bed..not eating or over eating..not sleeping or sleeping too much..emotions are exaggerated from crying to angry outbursts..to wanting to die" before considering that you might be depressed. Depression comes in different degrees and can progress quickly if not treated.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

[QUOTE=Jules A;1237695]We are grieving but if this becomes something that we get stuck in that affects our ability to continue on with our present lives and can not get past it could indicate depression. Situational depression is a very natural thing and although people process things in different time frames it shouldn't drag on and on imo.

I get what you are saying about nutrition and although I agree there are huge benefits to a individualized, healthy diet I do not think this takes the place of medication if needed. You are correct in that many doctors are lacking in advanced nutritional information and that is why nutritionists exist. I would imagine most would be happy to offer a referral if asked.

Jules, what I am saying is not just about "eating right" but getting in a nutritional program designed for you, which helps to correct or prevent depression along with other conditions.

For example, I can take a combination capsule that has St John Wort along with other "calming" natural ingredients such as chamomile. This combination works more immediately with NO side effects, and does not interfere with my meds. BUT I only take it as long as my body/brain needs it..not continuously as with other RX meds.

Even the best Anti-depressants are not meant to be taken for long periods of time. You will reach a tolerance and then it becomes less effective. Doc don't know what else to offer (except to *** talk therapy). Many of the RX meds we are given can also cause chemical changes that result in depression as a side effect, including some DMDs.

All I want is to offer a suggestion..as I don't think many of our docs even know about these nutritional evaluation tools and programs along with the benefits. My first MS doc SAW the results and would recommend I return to my nutritionist.

And my 2nd point was admitting to and processing the stages of grief and how we can get stuck along the way, resulting in situational depression.

Just sayin..we have options..

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I am sad that I have MS, but definitely not depressed.

I never knew what depression really was until I went through "post-partum depression." I cried constantly, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't function, didn't want to shower, didn't want to leave the house, etc.

It was a nightmare, but with Zoloft and lots of time (about 18 months!), I got through it.

I know if I ever feel like that again I will seek treatment.

I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through depression, it is a very dark & lonely place to be.

Comment

Would it even be normal not to feel depressed :-)

Yeah, I am depressed to varying degrees at having MS. Just as any other ordeal you go through...there are good days and bad ones.

Actually, for me the MS is easier to deal with than anything else that I have. No it isn't easy, but since I'm still mobile and in control of my life it is manageable.

I've pretty much come to grips with what i can do and cannot; it varies from time to time. That seems to confuse others more than it does me, but we can't allow ourselves to be absorbed by what others think, though it is hard.

DH finally lets me take the lead about how i feel about doing things and allows me to flop if I need to. I know 'flopping' is not good but sometimes it is what I have to do.

I suggest everyone 'be kind to yourself' and know you are not alone in feeling down sometimes. It's just normal.

Good Luck to all.

Diane
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Hi mjan, I think your post was very informative and I can relate to how you explained things.

When my neuro told me I had MS he said many people suffer from depression and gave me some samples of pills to "help me" if I thought I needed them.

That didn't sit too well with me, but just took them and kept them around the house for about a month, them threw them away. I thought that I don't need that stuff, I will get thru this. And I did.

Their are times over these last 3 years since I was dx that I did lose interest in my favorite things and had a hard time coping with the loss of walking as I was used to. Many times I didn't want to leave the house, just because it isn't as easy to just jump in the car and go here and there like in the past. I still feel that way sometimes.

I agree with what you say about good nutrition. I know I feel more alert and generally more energized when I eat healthy.

Do I get angry with having MS? You bet I do!! I feel sad about all the things I used to do that I can't do anymore. It's not easy, but I have a wonderful hubby that understands what I am going thru and does these things for me now. He picks up the slack left by this D--- disease. He is my rock, and I know I couldn't get thru this without him.

Good luck if you return to your nutritionst. Thanks for this post, and I always enjoy reading anything by you!! Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
              Even the best Anti-depressants are not meant to be taken for long periods of time. You will reach a tolerance and then it becomes less effective. [/COLOR][/I]
              I definitely don't know everything but I work in psychiatry and have never heard this statement before.

Unfortunately one's brain can undergo changes from long term untreated depression that can become make treatment more difficult.

It is excellent if alternative options work for you but please don't discount the fact that many people actually need prescription medication.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                I definitely don't know everything but I work in psychiatry and have never heard this statement before.

Unfortunately one's brain can undergo changes from long term untreated depression that can become make treatment more difficult.

It is excellent if alternative options work for you but please don't discount the fact that many people actually need prescription medication.
                Wow Jules.. Please understand, I do NOT discount folks taking any prescription meds. I too worked many years in mental health and just saw the problems with psychotropics all too often, including for myself.
                I am NOT discounting anyone getting psychiatric help ok?

I just want to make sure people have options to make their brains/bodies healthier..esp when on medications of any kind.

Jan
                I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                  X