A little freaked out now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little freaked out now

I've been reading on the site the past couple days. I haven't started my meds yet, but keep reading about the pain of the injections with Rebif. I mean this is sounding way worse than your typical injection. I would also like to know if anyone has experienced weight gain with Rebif? I realize this may seem trivial to some but I used to be very large and now that I'm not I'm terrified of gaining weight. I just don't know which way to go with this. I have to pick my medication on Tues. Why do I have to choose - it's not like I went to medical school.

When I did Rebif, it was the least painful injection for me compared to Copaxone and Avonex. I didnt really notice any weight gain while being on it.

I think the only time I gained any weight while on meds was when I was eating ice cream to comfort me when I was being nervous about the injections or experiencing flare-ups in the beginning.

When asked to choose your medication, it is mainly just choosing your preference. The doctors really wont know which one works well with your body until you have been on one for a few months and they see the results of your MRIs.

Are you up for a large long needle that injects only once a week? Some people cant stomach injecting a large needle.

Are you up for a short needle but injecting it daily? Some people are too busy with their small children or busy schedules that daily injections can be difficult.

Are you up for an every-other-day injection? Some people have trouble remembering to take medications unless its done daily.

So dont sweat it! Choose which injection you think you can handle and which one you think will work well with your schedule and go from there!

Comment

Hi there! I am on Rebif and have been since Oct 08. I don't use the auto inject and use the benzocaine alcohol wipe, wait a second or two, inject the needle and SLOWLY push the syringe pluger. There is absolutely almost NO pain. I can't tell you what the auto-inject is like because I have never used it, not once. I need to be able to see what's going on

I think maybe it's the copaxone that hurts more. Not that I have any experience in copaxone. But it sounds like it causes a lot of stinging and burning until one gets used to it.

And I have not had any weight gain from the Rebif at all.

It is kind of nice that the doc's let us choose our own meds though. That way we can be our own advocate and pick something that we, as individuals, can stick with and will be best for us.

Comment

Any pain from the Rebif injection itself lasts for a few seconds. I use Lidocaine which is a topical numbing cream and do not feel the needle at all. Because I use the injectomatic, the Rebif goes in quickly which can burn for a few seconds. That's about the worst of it. I get the achy bits after every shot, but I also have Fibromyalgia which is probably why. As for weight gain, I have lost 20 lbs. since starting on Rebif (on purpose).

Comment

I was on Avonex, and while the shot itself didn't hurt, the side effects were worse than Rebif. Plus A didn't work for me.

I am now on Rebif, and I have tried manually injecting as well as the autoinjector and both sting BADLY. It is for a few seconds, but it does hurt. BUT, I have fewer side effects and so far NO FLARES. I will take the pain (although I will do it some nice whining) if the med works!
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

I'm just getting my self psyched up for my 2nd rebif shot.

I use the Rebismart & the 1st time was only a small pinch when the needle 1st went in, so it didn't really hurt, i just don't like doing it myself.

& I am really hoping this does not cause weight gain, as i already have enough thank you very much!

Comment

I have been on Rebif since Aug 09. The titration shots do not sting at all untill I was up to the full 44mcg shot. For me the autoinjector was horrible! I got over my needle phobia very quickly and learned that I could inject myself very slowly and not have any stinging or pain.

I am having some pretty large welts though that last for up to 2 weeks. I don't mind too much though, makes rotating sites much easier if I can see where not to go.

As for weight gain, I am on a lot of meds that can cause weight gain so I can't say if Rebif specifically does or does not cause any, but I have managed to loose 5 lbs in the last few months without trying very hard so for me the answer would be no.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all the replies. I meet with my doctor later today and have decided on Rebif. I'm hoping it is not that bad, but we will see.

Comment

I'm just curious if your doctor was any help to you in deciding which medicine to take.

Comment

My doctor left the medication decision totally up to me. Never had a doc like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X