My Acthar Gel Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Acthar Gel Experience

So i recently had a flare up of my MS and my Neurologist subscribed Acthar Gel (Corticotropin). It's an injection used in treatment of many disorders and diseases related to the CNS. I used it for 5 days, by the 2nd day i was already feeling better. I have had some pretty annoying side effects such as... night sweats and just sweating more in general, acne breakout on my forehead and scalp and a bit of that "hit by a truck" feeling but that only lasted a few days.

I really like the outcome from it because it's helping stuff i didn't even expect it to help! I had a filling done several months ago and the sensitivity never went away, and now it's gone! weird huh! Even my bladder seems to be behaving better for now! No one i've talked to has ever heard of this medication or used it, so check it out! It might be a great option for you

Yeah for you Katie! I have had Acthar two different times and it was almost magic for me. My last round was in March after a nasty bout with steriod (pills--don't remember which ones). To bottom line it, I was extremely ill any my neuro put me on Acthar. Much like you I noticed a difference quickly and was even able to return to work earlier than anticipated. My dr. now knows if I need something for a flare it's Acthar!

I see you're in Texas and am curious to know what part. I'm just outside Houston and my neuro is in the med center.

Comment

Acthar Gel, ACTH, was a standard treatment for MS before IVSM, IV steroids, came into widespread use. I understand it can be quite expensive, but then nothing is cheap with this disease.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I haven't used any other types of steroids so I'm not totally sure why my Dr. went straight for Acthar... maybe because it's "all natural" ? And I have no idea how much I will be paying after insurance... all I know is N.O.R.D called me... so it can't be cheap! haahaha but if it keeps me on my feet a little longer, It's worth it to me!

and merryr I am down in San Antonio

Comment

My dr is concerned that the Betaseron might not be as effective as desired so now we are going to trying 'boosting' it with a monthly round of Acthar. Here's hoping it still give me a boost!

Comment

Working...
          X