I'm not sure where to start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure where to start...

Hello, I have a friend who has been through a lot and finally getting some info from dr's. She had an MRI of her brain and it shows lesions that suggest MS.

Hoping that her general dr. NOW takes her seriously! SHe was referred to go to a Neurologist and her ANA that was a month ago at 600 is now 1200.

She has a rash on her face which brought her this route in the first place. Her Dermatologist suggested that she have Lupus due to the rash but all tests show nothing. doesn't mean she doesn't have it but her tests showed nothing so they decided to do the MRI of her brain. It's scary to know this is happening to her and I'd like to get as much correct info as I can for her.

Thank you for any info or the correct place that I should be posting this lol.
    Currently 3 years remission from Graves' Disease, mom has Crohn's, best friend just diagnosed w/MS.... I guess it could be worse! Don't just lay there...live life!

Welcome, mrs! You and your friend may want to check out the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (website: nmss.org) in addition to coming here.

You can help her now as she comes to terms with the dx (diagnosis) by listening to her, letting her cry or yell and scream if she wants.

You also might want to check out the Relationships message board.
    As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Comment

thank you, I will look around the boards.
      I am hoping her dr. will do the referral tomorrow. I told her to call me if he doesn't. I can't go there but I sure can "speak" with him and his office if he refuses. I have a way about me! lol
      Currently 3 years remission from Graves' Disease, mom has Crohn's, best friend just diagnosed w/MS.... I guess it could be worse! Don't just lay there...live life!

Comment

Hello Mrs

Welcome to the forum

Your friend is lucky to have such a good friend. Like Des said being there for her while she rides this roller coaster will help her a lot.

You might want to encourage her to join the forum too. That way she can come and vent any time she wishes too.

Encourage her to keep a journal of what is happening so when she has to go from doctor to doctor or test to test she will have everything up to date.

Hope that she gets good help and relief soon. Please come back and let us know how she is doing

Comment

Hi mrs,

A bit of information for you from someone that has both MS and Lupus.

A positive ANA with high numbers can be an early indication of Lupus, even if the other blood tests are negative.

A positive ANA can also just be an indication of any inflammation occurring in the body.

You might want to check to see if she has had a CRP (C-Reactive Protein) blood test. CRP is not specific, but a high count is an indicator of acute inflammation in diseases such as Lupus.

The face rash is very indicative of Lupus as well. Has she had a biopsy for the rash?

MS and Lupus lesions in the brain can appear similar to one another in the early stages, especially if the lesions only "suggest" MS, or are described as non-specific white matter lesions.

Treatment for MS and Lupus are very different, and it is extremely important to rule out Lupus completely before taking any of the DMD drugs for MS.
          skeezix
          dx. rrms Nov/09. Not using DMD's.
          Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Comment

I can not thank you enough for this information! She is my pride and joy. If I had a little sister I would want her to be it. Right now I'd like to wrap her up in a bubble so nothing can happen to her but I know that is just foolishness and reality is this is happening and we need to check it out.

Her rash specifically showed the butterfly pattern, thus the reason her Dermatologist suggest she see someone and be tested for Lupus. The Rheumotologist was SHOCKED to say the least when tests came back negative. The dr. thought he had it in the bag with Lupus but the negative tests really through them off.

I am going to speak with her this morning asap and get a list of everything she has had done.

I think her lesions were "non specific white matter".

again thank you. I will let her know about this place. I am not sure she will come because she is so busy but I told her I would help so if that means me coming on here then I'll do that too.

Comment

Working...
            X