Running and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running and MS

I was diagnosed with MS in Nov, 2009. I have been an avid runner for years prior to finding out about my MS. I have tried to keep running since my last episode which resulted in nerve damage in my right leg. The damage only impacts me when my leg gets tired. I guess my question is how do I stay motivated when I know my times will no longer improve or return to the levels of prior to my episode. I really enjoy running but am not enjoying it lately when I have such a difficult time with longer runs (which is what I enjoy most) - foot drop, no control of the leg that kind of thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe one of those devices that makes your foot pick up or kick out. Although I have never ran, except when was forced to do so in school pe. It seems that the level of running you mentioned is not 100% of your motivation for running.
    Necessity is the mother of invention, perhaps you're the next fine inventor for the sport of running.

Comment

rubberlegs

I can totally empathize with you. I used to run, ( although it was years ago). Now, on occasion I dream about it. Oh how I wish to do this again. I can jog in place, but when outside, am unable to extend and get even one step that looks like a run. The worst weakness is in the lower hip and thigh.
      Hope you can get where you would like to be.
      Prayers for you. CL

Comment

I know what you mean - recently diagnosed (Feb. 2010). I was active, and most often a runner and my family life was tied up in running. The DH is a good and frequent marathon runner, DD is an excellent runner and competed in college and now beyond, other DD goes in and out of running but has done very well with her forays into the running world. This has been devastating to me. My issue has been vertigo - to the point that even walking on a street was dangerous for me. I am trying to figure it all out, figure out what works best for me, and put my 'building blocks' back together. It has taken a lot more of a mental toll than anyone can understand or appreciate. I miss my time alone, my time to think, how it made me feel, and of course I am resentful for the MS and how my life has been changed and altered. The only person that can figure this out is me. I figured this out this past weekend and am making efforts to think through the change and what I can do for myself, body and mind. Shorter runs, run/walks, more frequent, less frequent - not sure but I know that it's up to me to figure out.

Good luck with it all - we all go through this readjustment period, be it family issues, work, sports, driving, living, etc., we all struggle with fractions of the same issues.

Comment

I have the same problem - my right leg is weak and not reliable, so I end up kicking it out when I run. Then I get tired, and my right foot keeps stubbing the treadmill...

I got worried about tripping and falling, so I stopped. I have considered an AFO, which would help me keep my foot up, although I don't know if the knee would be helped. I think that's the weakest part of the leg.

I also have stress incontinence - nothing more embarrassing than wetting yourself when you're trying to run.

So what I did was switch to the elliptical trainer. The reason I ran was to get a good workout in thirty minutes, but that's no longer possible. The Y has these Precor EFX trainers that allow you to set a goal of calories, rather than time, so I just tell it I want to burn 400 calories, and start going. It usually takes me about 40 minutes.

I know it sucks. I used to run all the time. Then all this happened... Now I feel lucky if I have enough energy to exercise at all.
          "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
          Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

I, too, was a runner prior to being diagnosed. My left leg seemed to have a mind of its own. I also got an elliptical trainer which helped and switched to biking.

This past April, I woke up and decided to try my legs at running again. I ran a mile. I have gotten back to running a 5k. Don't ever give up hope of running again. You may have to change (life is all about change) your exercise for a time but then, you will know when you are ready to run again.

I wish you the best!
            Mary

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I just get frustrated. I can still run - so far this year to raise money for the MS society I have run 3 5Ks, a 4 miler, a 15K, a 10 miler, and 2 1/2 marathons with 2 1/2 marathons to go. Sometimes I just feel sorry for myself when I should be thankful that my only problems are some tingling in my right hand and a slight problem with my leg after longer distances.

Comment

It's ok, we all get frustrated.

Mary

Comment

Walker,

There is a runner from Seattle here that has drop foot and still runs marathons. Take a look at this thread http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103162 she posted in there.

I'm running myself but I don't have drop foot issues. I'm sure she has some tips and suggestions for you.

Genie

Comment

What may help with the foot-drop is a 'dorsi flexer' strap. It is used to help train runners to keep their toes up when running, I wear one for mild foot-drop. It is small, almost unnoticeable. I got mine from vsathletics, about $25.
                    Bill
                    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Originally posted by wkikta View Post
                      What may help with the foot-drop is a 'dorsi flexer' strap. It is used to help train runners to keep their toes up when running, I wear one for mild foot-drop. It is small, almost unnoticeable. I got mine from vsathletics, about $25.
                      Thanks for the reply Bill. Can you give me a little more detail about how the dorsi flexer strap works? I googled it but I am still a little unsure how it works. If you can let me know whenever you get a chance I would really appreciate it.

Comment

It attaches to your shoe, the lowest lace holes, has an elastic band that goes up to a strap around your ankle. It provides a slight lift to the toe of your foot. It does have to be adjusted with time, the elastic looses some stretch. It has worked very well for me. It comes as a set of two, one for each foot, I just use one, gives me a spare.
                        Bill
                        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
                        X