ANYBODY OUT THERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANYBODY OUT THERE...

...STILL DRIVE, WORK, AND HAD BEEN DX'D WITH OPTIC NEURITIS IN BOTH EYES ALL AT ONCE? WHEN DX'D WITH O.N. IN BOTH EYES, MY SIGHT CAME BACK AFTER ALMOST A YEAR, I RETURNED TO WORK, AND STILL HAVE TO CALL OFF OCCASIONALLY. MY EYES GET WEAK, OR CANNOT REGISTER TOO MUCH AT ONCE. I STILL LIKE TO DRIVE, CAN HANDLE IT, UNLESS THERE IS MAJOR TRAFFIC ON THE HIGHWAY AT HIGHER RATES OF SPEED. THEN I GET ALL NERVOUS, ANXIOUS, ETC. I DON'T WRECK, I AM A GREAT DRIVER, BUT HOW CAN I REGISTER ALL OF THIS MOVEMENT AT ONCE? AN OCCASIONAL CAR HERE AND THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM, IT IS JUST ALL THE PERIPHERAL ACTION THAT BUGS MY EYES OUT (ESPECIALLY IN THE MORNINGS WHEN I HAVE TO BE AT WORK 8-4). IT SEEMS THAT EVERYBODY AND THEIR BROTHER IS OUT WHEN I AM TRAVELING TO WORK. I DON'T WANT TO CARPOOL, BECAUSE I HATE RIDING W/ PEOPLE FROM FEELING CARSICK, AND/OR WHAT IF I HAVE TO LEAVE WORK EARLY OR GO TO THE DR'S OFFICE? ANY TIPS ON WHAT I CAN DO TO STRENGTHEN MY EYES WITH ALL OF THE ACTION? I DO EYE EXERCISES ALMOST DAILY TO KEEP THEM FROM WEAKENING, BUT THAT DOES ONLY SO MUCH. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF SOMEBODY OUT THERE HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS? I DON'T EVEN DRIVE AT NIGHT TIME, BECAUSE LIGHTS COMING TOWARDS ME ARE TOO BRIGHT, UNLESS IF I TRAVEL ACROSS TOWN, I KNOW I AM AT LEAST CLOSE TO HOME THEN.
    THANKS!

Hi str8tekno:
    Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. With your eye trouble, you might think that typing your posts in all caps makes them easier to read. But it doesn't -- all caps is so hard to read that a lot of people (including me) just skip those posts. More folks will read your posts if you type in all lower case. You can always enlarge the type size if you need to.

The visual problem you're describing has as much -- or more -- to do with your brain as with your eyes. Your brain isn't able to acquire and process visual information fast enough to keep up with all the action. Even with visual field defects or other problems, a brain that's processing information properly can keep up with the action, but a brain that's having problems in the processing areas can't.

Optic neuritis affects the optic nerves, not the eye muscles. Physically exercising the eyes doesn't do anything to help the nerves, and exercising them cannot prevent the nerves from "weakening." That's why the exercises you're doing aren't helping. If you're having trouble with your eye muscles, eye exercises might help, but you didn't say you were having trouble with your muscles, only that you had optic neuritis.

There are many people with MS whose brains don't process or interpret visual information correctly. Some have had optic neuritis, some haven't. But many have the same perceptual difficulties you do when driving. Hopefully, some of those folks will have tips to share on how they compensate.

In comparison, I've had dozens of episodes of optic neuritis over the years, several times in both eyes at the same time. I have some cumulative, permanent damage in both eyes, so I can relate to the difficulties you're having. I think the important difference is that the processing and perceptual parts of my brain haven't been effected. Because of that, my brain and I have learned to work around the "input" problems.

Even though physically exercising the eyes isn't helpful for the trouble you're having with your vision, some perceptual therapy might be. You might consider asking your neurologist or ophthalmologist if they can refer you to an occupational therapist with experience in working with visual perceptual difficulties. This might be the kind of therapist who works with people who have developmental delays or have had strokes or traumatic brain injuries. MS really is a kind of brain injury, so there should be some commonalities.

Vision is a learned process, and it's possible that you might be able to train your perceptual system to more quickly and accurately interpret visual information. You might also be able to train yourself how to better work around the defects that you have in your vision. There are resources available that might help. I hope you're able to find some solutions soon.

Comment

Redwings is right, ON is nerve related and no exercise is going to help with that. After my 2nd bout of ON in both eyes I kept asking the Dr why I couldn't wear glasses to make my eyesight better, and he said my optic nerve is to damaged for that. He explained the optic nerve is like a multi pair telephone cable, and when 1/2 the wires in the cable break then alot of phone calls will be missed.

Like you though I am barely legal to drive in NY state. I have learned my limitations and will not do any city driving, I just cannot process all the traffic and lane changes. I will take back roads and side streets whenever possible simply just to keep out of the way. I don't drive very much at night and only if I absolutly have to because of the glare of oncoming headlights, etc..

I think sometimes I have learned to look through different parts of my eye which does seem to help so You can retrain yourself somewhat.

Comment

sorry to hear that you are having these difficulties

My side and top vision has been from poor to none off and on for years. I never even knew it until I was tested. I am guessing the reason I didn't know is that my eyes or something knew it and my eyes were constinatly moving up and down and to the sides.

That used to annoy my neuro because he would say look straight ahead, then he would position his hand to the side and say tell me when you can see my finger, my eyes would automaticly go to the side or my head would.

Same if he put his hand above my head and say how many fingers do I have up.

Lately I have some side vision again, and now I have a problem telling what it is I am seeing. The tinyest little bug will look huge and scare the you know what out of me.

When I comes to driving, don't, can't do highway driving at all. Night driving is out too. I either get really blurred vision of none at all if head lights approach. I live in the country so I don't have to much traffic to deal with for local runs.

If I were in your shape, I don't know if I would drive at all. What are your doctors saying about driving?

Hope you stay safe and others around you.

Comment

Thanks to those of you with your comments, and/or advice. Redwings, I will no longer type in all caps, although it is amazing who all does in the message boards. I hardly ever post or come in here as it is, because of working all day in front of a pc (when i actually do go to work), I don't want to mess around on the pc at home. I don't even give myself time to check my email, lol.

Anyway, I am perfectly fine and legal to drive. I was never told to stay off of the roads even when I had Optic Neuritis in both eyes at once, even though I was almost blind with extremely poor vision, but I knew I was incapable of it, so I didn't want to endanger others or myself. I still don't drive at night unless it is across town to pick up pizza or go to the store. Once my sight started to come back, I could tell my colors again, and things were better to see, so I started back to work full time. It is not that I cannot see to drive, but it is certain times and places that I steer clear from due to all of the activity. I have trained myself to drive alternate routes if need be. I don't drive long distances either. I notice if I sit around all day doing no physical activity, that it makes me feel worse physically and mentally, so working helps me to keep my brain in gear, and as long as I am capable of doing it, I will keep going (just have some good and bad days, like all). Oh and one more thing...I am currently in the middle of switching to another neuro, because it seems the one I have/had is too busy working at the hospital, is never in the office, and didn't take enough time out to help me with my MS issues, and FMLA paperwork at work, so wish me luck with this new one when i go to see her.

Thanks again for responding, hope all goes well, and God Bless!

Comment

Working...
          X