Heart palpitations-Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart palpitations-Avonex

I was diagnosed with some sort of heart palpatations last year and assured they were harmless-this was when I was in Limbo and before I started Avonex. Every time I take Avonex the palpitations set in at about 4-5 hours post the injection and it is difficult to fall asleep or to sleep through. Anybody else have this?

Hi Splendid,

You should report this increase in palpitations to both your neurologist and your primary care physician, and also to your cardiologist, if you were treated by one.

That said, I have skipped and extra beats that are harmless and are called PVCs. They did increase when I was on Avonex and so my cardiologist had me wear a Halter heart monitor for 48 hours to make sure it was just an increase in the benign condition rather than the appearance of a new one. It was an increase in PVCs and so was determined to be harmless. Staying super duper hydrated, including some gatorade in that, helped.

Comment

I have had heart palpatations for years. On a routine check for for a job i had a bad EKG, my doc. reordered another one and still bad.

One ultrasound later I found out I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. I havent seen an increase since taking Avonex!

I just have to be careful when I get dental work work done. I have to take antibiotics a week prior to dental work...safety precaution.

I always thought the palpatations were caused by my Thyroid condition..but it was actually caused by diet pills that had "efedra"(sp) in it.

I do not take diet pills any more! But the palpatations can be disruptive. Mine are particularly active when Im over tired...which with MS is often.

I usely stop what Im doing until their done and continue on...its inconvient but what isn,t with MS

Please let your Neuro know, always be safe and never be afraid to speak up about your body!!

Comment

Avonex definitely makes my heart race, this was more prevalent when I first started. Not that much anymore.

I used to get palpatations from an allergy med I used to take that has since been taken off the market. It was Seldane.

Comment

Palpitations but with Copaxone

Hi there,

I started having noticeable palpitations after starting copaxone along with heart racing. They didn't start any time in particular after my injection - just whenever they felt like kicking in.

I saw a wonderful cardiologist who has seen the same symptoms in other copaxone users. He suggested I go on Bystolic which is a beta blocker. It's supposed to be great at controlling the heart rate without lowering your blood pressure too much at the lower dosages. I balked at first, thinking I could do a mind over matter thing... Plus I hate meds..

So after 6 months of some pretty scary moments, (which began to end up in full panic attacks) and a trip or two to the ER, I gave in. I've been on Bystolic 5mg since February and I feel great. I'm not saying I don't feel the occasional flip flop, but they are never bothersome and my heart rate stays where it's supposed to be. It took a few weeks to adjust to the med...had some cold hands, and a little dizzy - but heck - I have MS, what's a little dizziness now and then. After a few weeks passed by I felt great. I take it first thing a.m. and I'm good to go.

Take care!
          Dx 06/07
          Copaxone

Comment

I haven't ever had palpitations with Avonex. I do think letting your doctor know is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I will talk to my neuro about it my next visit. I just hate bringing things up because I do not want any more meds, tests....or diagnoses for that matter

Comment

Working...
              X