Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed

I'm new to this world, and am pretty scared right now. I have to start medications soon, but other than that I don't know what's going on or what to expect. I've done some research on my own but no one can tell me how this is going to go. Will I be paralyzed in 5 years? Do I need to even worry about a retirement account? Please share your experiences.

Welcome aboard garrysgirl

Good luck with your up coming treatments. Please do let us know your progress.

Wish we could give you an answer as to what to expect.

MS is different for each of us. While we may all share common sx they don't necessarily follow a certain pattern.

As for the wc question, many MS'ers never require a wc while many do, but not by a predetermined time period.

What MS has taught me is to expect anything but don't get caught up worrying about what is next, because it does what it wants when it wants.

We can offer you suggestions on how to get relief for some sx, because of our experiences, but you should be following your doctors recommendations for you case.

One of the things you will find here to is plenty of people willing to listen when you need a friendly understanding ear.

Please do come back often to let us know how you are doing

Comment

For whatever it's worth, I've had MS (as far as having symptoms) for about 6 years now. I'm not paralyzed, have no problems walking, and I do have a retirement account.

Take the time to read through the posts here - they will give you some great insights into how different life with MS is for everyone and how to cope with it on a physical, mental, and emotional level.

Comment

Hi Garrysgirl.

I've lived with the sx of MS since I'm 14. I'm 47 now. I haven't had too many visible sx until the last 2 years or so.

I have the reputation of being a klutz. I fall. I do it again. I still work. I have a high stress job. I have a retirement plan. I have a pension with health ins included thankfully.

I use a cane occassionally for balance issues. Then I don't need it. I deal with constant fatigue and then I'm fine for a bit before it happens again. I deal with unexplained pain and then I don't. I relapse, remit, relapse, remit and on and on and on.

Noone can know what the course will be for anyone else. The most you can do is plan for the worst and live your life to the best of your ability day to day. I'll work till I can't or I retire whichever comes first. I'll play with my brand new grandson. I'll go out to dinner, plays, movies, concerts, etc...

Fear is normal. Anger is normal. I'm still angry! And I'm still scared. Noone can tell me what to expect. Noone can promise I'll be this way in another 6 months let alone 5 years. So - i'll be the best me and enjoy my life to the best of my ability for as long as I can.

<hugs> and welcome. Come here to whine, cry, scream, laugh and tell us all your triumphs and trials. I've found so many wonderful people who are supportive, caring, and just nice in a way not often seen in my life. We're here and we'll listen..

Comment

Welcome GG!

I think we've all been scared. I was really scared. Then I was mad. Then, well, I don't think about it much anymore.

I was told I had MS in early 1988. At age 30. Still walk and live a pretty normal life. Nobody except close friends and family know I have MS. I still work and yeap - still throwing money into a "401k" type plan. Actually - I really have a truly fun job.

My wife and I just got from 2 weeks in southern Utah. Hiked a bunch of the national parks there. No problem.

I'd say maybe 85% of the people I know with MS are fully mobile. And I've met hundreds (I do some volunteering at the local NMSS chapter).

I don't take any of the MS treatments. They didn't exist when I was dx'ed. I took copaxone for about 2 weeks 7 years ago and decided daily shots are not my cup of tea.

I would suggest not giving up on your dreams and plans. It may not be all that much of an impact.

Tom
          "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
          - Voltaire

Comment

Welcome, garry'sgirl (you do have a first name or a screen name we can call you, I hope. You're more than somebody's girl )

As other posts have said, nobody can predict how you and your MS will be in the future, sorry. Come to think of it, though, nobody else knows what's in their future, either, if they have MS or not.

You do not have to start medication soon, by the way. You need to get used to having MS and learning what you can before you decide which, if any, of the MS meds you will use. Don't let doctors push you around. Push back and tell them you'll tell them your decision when YOU make it.
            As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all so much for the welcome and words of encouragement. I work midnights so I may not get back to acknowledge everyone at a normal time. My name is Tonya

Comment

Hi garrysgirl,

I wish you didnt have to find us here, but this is a great place for support and info. My diagnosis is new and I'm scared, too.

I just finished an oral steroid regimen to ease some symptoms and have noticed some improvement, but the side effects of the meds are yucky. I hope you get some ease of you symptoms as well.

What I'm finding is that us MS'ers, we all got different things going on. Similar, but never quite exactly the same.

Do you have a good support system at home?
                Courage is NOT the absence of fear, it is going forward in spite of fear. Diagnosed 5/27/10

Comment

gypsy

My husband seems to be dealing ok. I have 3 kids ages 16, 14 and 10. I have tried explaining that stress will make me worse but not alot of cooperation from them - kids and stepdad conflict. I was on IV steroids in the hospital for 4 days. I was originally tingly and numb from the chest down. Now it's just my fingers, unless I look down. It's scary that everyone is so different. I'm a control freak due to life circumstances and this has really knocked me down. I'm kinda resigned - like this is just one more bad thing in my life. I hope we can both get some answers.

Comment

Working...
                  X