frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frustrated

hi there! ok so starting back in November i started having numbness mostly in my legs, but sometimes arms. this has come and gone, 3-4 times since. recently i also had some balance issues. fast forward, i have had mri's and tons of blood tests ( Lyme, lupus,etc, all which came back negative) and just today a LP, although they couldn't get any fluid, so i am guessing we'll have to try that again my mri's showed 6 lesions on my brain and 3 on my cervical spine. I'm just frustrated because i am getting a lot of " strongly suggestive of..." and "very consistent with..." m.s. but no "official" diagnosis. i would be thrilled if it was something else, something that they could give me some pills for or something and it would all go away. but at the same time i just want to know, so that if it is i can start treatment.

is it always so drawn out. in all of you're opinions/experience, given my symptoms and mri results, what are the chances it won't be m.s.? thanks.

Hello Ma Vi

Welcome to MSWorld Forums

If you have had the many ruling out tests, and they are all negative, then it sounds like the chances of it being something other than MS are kind of slim (but still possible, depending on how many different ruling out tests you have had)

I know that some neuros follow the criteria checklist diligently before they commit to a definite diagnosis. Even though you have alot of lesions and symptoms, I wonder what their missing puzzle piece would be

Best wishes that you get answers soon. Maybe the LP will confirm.

Hang in there
    Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

according to him, he wants to rule out Lyme with the LP. which is fine, i appreciated he is just being thorough. but realistically i have not had any of the other symptoms of Lyme and was last bitten by a tick over 12 years ago, and it wasn't a deer tick. i just want to know something so i can move forward. thank you for responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma_vie_en_rose View Post
        according to him, he wants to rule out lymes with the LP. which is fine, i appreciated he is just being thorough. but realistically i have not had any of the other symptoms of lymes and was last bitten by a tick over 12 years ago, and it wasn't a deer tick. i just want to know something so i can move forward. thank you for responding.
        Based on your two posts, it sounds like your doc is "doing it right". My guess is once the Lyme etc. test results are back as negative you will get another MRI (sep. in time month whatever) and if something new shows- a diagnosis.
        Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Probable MS

My dh's neuro ran the other tests as we got the ball rolling for DMD's. It can take a while to get insurance to process the DMD's, so you may want to ask to begin that process while you wait for the results, assuming you want to be on a DMD.
          Chomsky Chick
          This floating world is but a phantasm.
          It is a momentary smoke.— Zen monk

Comment

Diagnosis

Hello,

I totally get your frustration. I have been tested for 8 months, they have had 7 (yes I said 7) attempts at a lumbar puncture and never been able to get fluid. So we stopped the LP test. Some lesions have come and gone and new ones appeared in my brain and spine.
            Attacks have come and gone. Everyone at the hospital refers to it as MS, they treat me like I have MS, the Neuro refers to me as an MS patient, but because the LP has not confirmed it they will not put it on paper that I have MS.
            Stay Positive,
            29 Turtles

Comment

I feel for you.

It took my neurologist three years to officially diagnose me. I had five MRIs, a LP, and all the blood work. My recent MRIs aren't much different than the first one. The LP was borderline positive 3 years ago. Each neurologist is different and some are very very cautious about diagnosing. I do wish mine had diagnosed sooner though because I know my cognitive functioning has declined in the past three years. I wish you an accurate and speedy diagnosis of whatever it is, MS or not.
              Portia

Comment

Working...
              X