Worsening symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worsening symptoms?

Hi husband has not had the official diagnosis of MS yet, and this is all very new to us and, like most people, I want to know if anyone else has experienced what I am about to describe.

His symptoms began in May, with a numbness/hot flashes down his left side. He had an MRI which showed lesions, two in the brain, one in the spine. He developed problems in his legs-- no muscle control of his left leg from the knee down, said it felt "dead". And tingling in both feet. Doctor started solumedrol iv for three days. No effect until almost two weeks later. We switched neurologists already, and the new one agreed that its probably MS, and since he was still having symptoms, gave him two weeks of oral prednisone (which he is almost done with). Then he kept getting better-- regained muscle control, and tingling started going away. He could actually almost run again, so he was pretty happy about that.

However, a couple of nights ago, July 2nd, to be exact, he went to bed at 2 am and woke up at 4am and couldn't walk well. He's been using a cane. It was such a horrible set back for him. Devastated him. He was pretty depressed last night, and I'm glad he has asked me if people with MS go see counselors, which I told him yes, they do. Its such a big thing to deal with.

Anyhow, what I'm wanting to know is has anyone had this happen? Start to get better and then feel like you've gone two steps forward and 3 steps back? We called the neurologist on Friday and he wants to see us this week. I'm pretty nervous because the physicians assistant didn't say why he wants us to come in. I don't know if that means he has a new lesion, or what.

Everyone keeps telling him that it will get better, and it was there for a while, but now its bad again. And this is all the same first attack. Anybody else have a really bad first attack like this? How long can a bad attack last? I'm scared now that he doesn't have RRMS and has a progressive type.

Its very difficult with this setback. Prior to this one, he's had to deal with not being able to ride his motorcycle on the streets whenever he wants, not being able to race his dirtbike, not being able to take a new job flying (although he did find out he still can fly with MS), and the only thing that he still had was his music-- he plays guitar in a band. However, we had to play this weekend, and he couldn't play very well. He had told me that he can handle not walking, not flying, not riding motorcycles, as long as he could still play music. And now as if it were some cruel joke, he struggled with that, too.

Hi Julie, sorry your hubby is dealing with worsening sx. I know how hard that is, especially when you start to feel good and can return to your favorite activities!

Glad he switched neuros- it's so important to find one that will get to the bottom of things and do all the testing that needs to be done.

My first attack was in 1994, it literally knocked me off my feet! Long story there, I won't bore you with it, but MS sx hits everyone so different in its length and severity.

I'm a firm believer in getting an LP, as scary as that sounds. If it is MS, you have the option of getting on a med to help stop the progression.

I hope your hubby can soon do all the things he enjoys to do. We also ride a motorcycle- have a Harley with a really comfy seat for me with wrap around armrests, and nice foot pads for my feet. I can't walk too good, but I sure can ride!! It makes me forget about my walking and bad balance for awhile.

Good luck and come back and let us know how things are going! Kathy

Comment

I forgot to mention that the first neuro ordered a LP. Unfortunately, we switched neuro's in between the LP procedure and the results. The first neuro faxed part of the results to the new neuro, but not the important O-bands results, so still waiting on those.

We're wondering if perhaps that is why he called us back so soon-- maybe he got those results and wants to start treatment sooner (we were scheduled to go back July 23rd and discuss treatment).

I think one of the more difficult things with this disease is how it differs from person to person. Very unpredictible on what is going to happen. I keep researching and checking out message boards for him.

Comment

Julie in many ways MS is like life, we never know what is next, right

Sorry you honey is having a hard time. Do you live where it is humid? Could some of it be from that? I know I have been slammed this summer. Hopefully you will hear something as simple as that.

I have been on and off the cane a few times. Right now the cane is sounding good to me again. Better safe, right.

Please left us know what happens with the doctor this week

Comment

Julie,
          I am sooo sorry to hear of your husbands sx's. I however can relate. And I just wanted to let you know and him that he is not alone. I am 37 and a wife and a mother of a 10 and 12yr old. I have not been dx'd as of yet. Going in tomarrow for the results of my LP. And am too on my second Neuro. I look back now and have suffered sx'x for many years that I have passed off as other issues. But my point is back in March I had my first real sx which at that point had no idea even then and passed it off. It was a case of ON in my right eye I was at work and suddenly out of no where my eye was blurry. Then came the worst headache about a week later which sent me to the ER I thought I had a stroke. Sorry long winded needless to say I am still in the same first ATTACK and it is now July. I have had to take a medical leave from work and sell my car which was a manual due to worsening weakness in my left leg I could no longer push in the clutch and the list goes on. But there are times even several days when I think I am coming out of it and that I should even be at work and not taken the leave. (Guilt for many reasons, depression, some days major, and an extreme loss of independence) Then I go back again and need a cane and now even a knee brace and possibly an AFO which I learned about on this site. Due to my ankle turning my foot on it's side or toe walking which I now have learned from my PT (who is my BIL) is due to muscle toning and compensation for food drop. Anyway let him know he is not alone and I can relate completely. Always hear to talk or vent or what ever. Take care, and I hope for the best for you and your Husband. Amy
          Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Sounds familiar

It sounds pretty familiar to me. That is very similar to how my dh's sx first materialized, but he had foot drop too. I goes without saying that everyone is different, but the first year seems to be pretty rough for a lot of people. My dh had multiple exacerbations his first year. It took a while for his meds to begin working. Keep your chin up, and find a neuro you like. Good luck!
            Chomsky Chick
            This floating world is but a phantasm.
            It is a momentary smoke.— Zen monk

Comment

I think I should also mention that IVSM and prednisone both did some horrible stuff to my emotions. I think it is a great idea that he is looking into help if he feels he needs it, but remember it could be the drugs making him feel down.

"Down" doesn't begin to describe what I felt with the solumedrol. It was such complete hopelessness for 2 days. All I can offer is that it got better with time. I really wish I could say the same about MS. Symptoms, but there are no guarantees with that one.

Burning feet and numbness are some of my main symptoms. Hopefully you can get a firm dx and begin to take some medications to help. I'm hardly an expert on these things but I think that new drug (4AP?) might help some. It's worth asking a doc about anyway.

Comment

Comfort

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It helps to hear that others have had long exacerbations or that the first year is rough-- you know, alleviates some worry.

jpb-- the hopelessness on solumedrol sounds similar to what my husband experienced. He dreaded taking the oral predisone, but I don't think its affected him as badly as the ivsm.

I know the coping process can take a while. I'm finding solace in these message boards and talking to other people. Me being informed is helping me be there and be strong for hubby.

Going to the neuro tomorrow-- will try to update at that point.

Comment

I just want to add that the first few months are terrible and we're all never sure if we're getting better or not. So here's what I wish my doctor had told me.

During an attack, an amout of myelin is attacked - that's more or less permenent or maybe healing. That's the real damage.

Around the site of the attack is inflamation. That creates temporary symptoms which will clear up over time and can also get better and worse during the recovery. This is what the Steroids are supposed to do very quickly - bring down the inflamation.

This is why you hear stories of people who couldn't walk, but are now, couldn't see but got better. They'll tell you it was the avonex, copaxone tysabri or cat urine enemas, but it was the recovery part of the illness.

When I went thorugh this, just 6 months ago, I got worse before I got better. I assumed it would be a linear healing, but it was not. Firstly, (bad news) he could still be in the exacerbation. But secondly (good news) it goes up and down. Imagine a graph with ups and downs trending upwards.

Stress, heat, worry, depression can all make the temporary symptoms worse. You can't feel MS, you only feel the damage and inflamation left in its wake. He should take whatever relax medecine he needs and REST REST REST. Bed rest for 2 weeks would not be a bad idea if he can do it.

Whatever it is, it's going to get better than what it has been, but there's a bit of a wait to get there and it seems like an eternity.

Good luck.

Comment

Sounds pretty familiar to what I've been going through since mid-May, except your hubby got prompt medical treatment. I ended up in the ER for a CT cuz my hubby was freaked out that I could be having a stroke. That's the only testing I've had. I have my first neuro appt Thurs. To make matters worse, I've been on a drug for my RA-type disease that makes MS worse or can actually cause MS in some "lucky" people. I've had to go off it now, after talking to my rheumatologist, so my arthritis is flared up bad too.

But ya, I was really bad for about 3 weeks May-June, then started doing better....but it was like 2 steps forward and 3 back, as you said. I had weakness on my right side and very stiff spastic muscles in my right leg that was doing a lot better, then after a hot shower to ease my arthritis, I couldn't lift my leg out of the shower onto the floor. I nearly fell. I could put weight on my leg to stand, but I couldn't push my leg forward; it was like my brain just couldn't tell my leg to move. Thankfully that only lasted a few hours, but it's come back a few times when I've been stressed or tired.

I've got 4 kiddos ages 2-12, so this has been incredibly difficult. I don't have any friends or family close by that could help out either. Thankfully my hubby's boss has been very understanding and has allowed him to get out of many meetings and trips he was supposed to take when things have been bad. He works from home, but is supposed to go into the San Fran office once a week(3 hour drive or train ride).

I'm sorry your hubby has been going through this. I'm sorry you both have to deal with this junk. It's so difficult to go from healthy and active to being slammed with a debilitating disease, even if it's not always debilitating. I've had a few yrs to get used to being sick. I'd already lost so much due to the arthritis disease, had already had to change my lifestyle and adjust to not being able to do so many things I loved, that for me, this neurological stuff probably hasn't hit me as hard as it would many others. Does that make sense?

Good luck with the neuro appt. Perhaps he's got the results from the LP that will firm up his diagnosis? Whatever it is, you've found a great group of supportive people to help you both through this.

Comment

Julie, you are a wonderful partner to be doing all that you do for your husband. Being a caregiver is not an easy job, and your efforts are clearly shown to be exceptional through your discussions in this thread. Your husband is lucky to have you by his side, and I'm sure you feel the same way. God Bless you.

Comment

Back from the doc

Thanks again, everyone.

We just got back. Results of the LP show 2 O-bands. Doc said they like to have 5 for a firmer diagnosis. However, because of the presence of the bands and the lesions, and with the symptoms that he's experienced, he wants to start him on meds. DH wants to try Tysabri, and me and the neuro support that decision. It was the neuro's recommendation but he sent us with info on all meds and we've been researching-- weighing the pros and the cons.

So, we left feeling a little better-- a little more hope. We're really happy with the neuro that we have-- he's very knowledgeable, kind, and patient with us.

Anyhow, they're setting things up with the Tysabri and blood test for the JC virus, so in a few weeks he'll start treatment.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and concern.

Comment

Julie,
                          I have been thinking about you and waiting for your post. It sounds like you have a very good neurologist. It makes complete sense that your neurologist would recommend starting your husband on the big gun Tysabri based on his presentation. Hopefully his MS will be stopped in it's tracks with Tysabri, without waiting for one of the injectables to kick in with the possibility that they may work in 30% of the cases. I will be praying for your husband. My neuros have told me that in cases like your husbands they will recommend Tysabri as a first line treatment, but in the end it is up to the patient.

Originally posted by julierooster View Post
                          Thanks again, everyone.

We just got back. Results of the LP show 2 O-bands. Doc said they like to have 5 for a firmer diagnosis. However, because of the presence of the bands and the lesions, and with the symptoms that he's experienced, he wants to start him on meds. DH wants to try Tysabri, and me and the neuro support that decision. It was the neuro's recommendation but he sent us with info on all meds and we've been researching-- weighing the pros and the cons.

So, we left feeling a little better-- a little more hope. We're really happy with the neuro that we have-- he's very knowledgeable, kind, and patient with us.

Anyhow, they're setting things up with the Tysabri and blood test for the JC virus, so in a few weeks he'll start treatment.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and concern.

Comment

I'm glad you've got answers now and that he's going to start treatment. Good luck to you both.

Comment

oh Julie, you both must be relieved. That is great news to hear that he will soon be on the meds

Good luck to both of you. Let us know how he is doing please

Comment

Working...
                              X