Needle Disposal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Disposal?

So I get the pleasure of shooting myself with a needle of Copaxone everyday (today is burning in my right arm) but I'm not sure how to properly dispose of all these needles.

I guess each area is different. Are there best practices for disposal or a good website that'll point me to answers in my area?

Thanks, e in new york

Safe needle disposal

Here is a website that lists by state the legal way to dispose of needles. Hope it helps.

http://www.safeneedledisposal.org/resslaws.html

Comment

I'm so sorry, elephant911.

The link should have been:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseas...nges/index.htm

I've been dealing with a bad tooth and would like to apologize for being careless.
      MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

If you call Shared Solutions, they may send you a sharps container. Also, you can use an empty bleach bottle. Finally,you can go to the drug store and buy one.

in the end, I believe all old needles should be given to the drug store. You can probably ask there.

Comment

Doctors Take Needles Too

I do get the sharps containers from shared solutions, then when full, my primary care physician takes them. They then get handled properly with the rest of his needles. I was told to check with ourlocal environmental agency or fire department but neither would take them. My PCP has been best.
          My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

The best purchase I ever made was a BD Safety Clip...a cute little device that clips off the end of the needle and stores it safely inside the device. Then you can dispose of the syringe in the garbage.

I think the BD Clip holds 1500 clipped needles, and i paid about $3.00 for it on Amazon.

Comment

Any hospital or major clinic in the area should give you a sharps container, and offer to take it from you when it's full. I've worked in several hospitals and medical centers in Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin and that's pretty much been a standard practice at every facility I've encountered.

Hospital's are in tough competition these days and these little services are available in hopes you'll patronize their facility when you have your next heart attack. Seriously, won't hurt to call your local health facilities and check it out.

Comment

a no cost container is to use an old laundry or fabric softener container. Also, duct tape the lid closed and dispose in your trash if allowed (that is what we do in my county).

Comment

Originally posted by krohe View Post
                  The best purchase I ever made was a BD Safety Clip...a cute little device that clips off the end of the needle and stores it safely inside the device. Then you can dispose of the syringe in the garbage.

I think the BD Clip holds 1500 clipped needles, and i paid about $3.00 for it on Amazon.
                  I'm with you Karen love the B-D Safety Clip. It's especially wonderful when traveling.
                  Dx 4/04
                  Copaxone 5/04-3/05
                  Rebif 4/05-present

Comment

Originally posted by lchoppel View Post
                    a no cost container is to use an old laundry or fabric softener container. Also, duct tape the lid closed and dispose in your trash if allowed (that is what we do in my county).
                    I agree 100%, an empty Tide bottle as my sharps container last a long time and made of a thicker plastic. Maybe a year or so, I don’t put the needle caps the sharps and that makes them last longer.

I live in Illinois and here personal sharps can be put in the trash, hospitals and other heavy users have to pay for disposal.

You could look for diabetic’s needle disposal place, they should be more common.
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea!

That sounds like a good idea, but wondering if the issues with tossing is just the needle or the syringe?

They should empty completly I guess; they seem to, but is it okay to toss the syringes?

Just wondering.

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Try your counties department of health. They should be able to help you.

Comment

The MS clinic I use is not in my "neighborhood". When they told me I'd need to start on Betaseron, they recommended I contact my PCP to find out about proper disposal of the needles. The nurse also said to ask the pharmacy where I will order the Betaseron from for a Sharps container. She said most will provide it free.

I haven't started taking it yet, but this is the info that they provided me.

Let us know what you find out. Seems that different states, counties, etc. have different rules.

Comment

huh.

That does sound useful, makes it easier for those days when we're out and about and I have to do the copaxone thing.(which actually happens more than I'd have thought). But how do you dispose of the needles when the clip gets full?? I may have to go get one of those, thanks for the tip!

D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

Where I get my Avonex thru Prescriptions Solutions they will send u a free sharps container,gauze,alcohol pads.When full I take mine to work as I put it in a huge bio meds box and it gets pick up by a service we have.
                              In the state of Indiana u can use a milk jug make sure its taped shut and thrown in your garbage can,I dont think that is safe to do.So I take mine to work (I work in the Dental field)

Michelle

Comment

Working...
                              X