Rebif Red Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebif Red Spots

I have the red spots appear about 2 days after my injection (at the injection site). The spots are usually about a quarter size, a couple have been bigger. The part that I'm wondering is normal is that they are there for a couple of weeks. I can actually still see very faint spots from injections I did on my legs 3 weeks ago. These aren't bruises, they are red spots (from what, I don't know). For those of you on Rebif, have you experienced the same thing? Vanity-wise I don't care about them, just want to make sure I shouldn't be calling my doc about this.

Rebif and those red spots

I have been taking Rebif for about 4 years. I still get those red spots to which you referred. As you said, they are cosmetic. They are pretty typical of Rebif and are mentioned in the literature as a common side effect. They are not worth calling your doctor about unless they get hard/lumpy or hot. I have never personally felt the need to call my prescribing doctor (a neurologist) about the spots.

Comment

I've been taking Rebif close to 8 years and I still get a dime size red spot ocassionally. Sometimes they would go away after a few days, sometimes they hung around for weeks then gradually fade away.

When I first started I use to get large red swollen welts and boy were they itchy. Those didn't calm down for months.

Don't know though if the welts were caused by the Rebif or just the poor injection technique I had at the time though. Probably a combo of both.

Regardless, look at the literature, call an MSlifeline nurse just to confirm that the red spots are normal.

If I recall my early experience with Rebif, I think I called the MSlifeline nurse or my doctor about anything out of the norm until I was satisfied that it was...errr... normal.
      "It's easier to be critical than correct."- Disraeli

Comment

I will have been on Rebif 2 years in Oct. I get pretty big red spots sometimes. Sometimes they are dime size and a lot of times they are silver dollar size. And depending on where I inject, I can often see the red spots for a few weeks. Especially in my abdomen - those seem to show up and last the longest. If I get really warm (hot shower or a lot of sun) or even really cold, you can see them even more.

My Dr was not worried at all. He said maybe one of these days we will get the new formulation that they have over in Europe (or somewhere - I can't remember for sure) and it's supposed to be less likely to cause that reaction.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I was just surprised by how long they stuck around. I won't worry about it though! Thanks!

Comment

I've been on rebif for a while now, and still get the red spots. Like you, I can usually spot a couple of weeks of injections (especially after a shower) -- makes it easy to remember where I've injected!

My neurologist said that is normal and actually a good reaction. She seemed more concerned if there were no spots appearing. Anyone else get that message?

Comment

Yep. I have them too. And being out in the sun brings them out in a major way!! I went to the beach 3 days after I did a shot on my thigh, and I couldn't figure out how I had missed a perfectly circular patch of skin with the sunscreen. It finally hit me that it wasn't a sunburn, but it was the Rebif.
              Melody
              Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Working...
              X