stopping Rebif ---- again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stopping Rebif ---- again

I can't do this anymore. This is the second time I'm quitting. I just can't talk myself into pushing the button on the auto-injector. I can only do the needle in my stomach cause it's the only place I can really control. My thighs are just too awkward for me.

I'm tired of being tired. I felt better before the Rebif. I'm tired of headaches. I'm am scared of needles to start with. I'm talking PANIC not fear. It can take me hours to talk myself into an injection. Sometimes I can't do it. I like doing something to help halt this dx progressing but I'm also tired of stressing myself out over these shots.

Rebif hasn't stopped me from falling on my butt. I know that it doesn't do that. It has helped me from forming new lesions? The Dr says so but I'm not so sure. I think I'm just sick of feeling sick. It's hard to keep doing something you know makes you feel bad.

I promised the dr I'd talk to him before I stopped this time. I didn't last time. I just stopped.

I'm basically complaining here and feeling sorry for myself. It's supposed to be a shot day and I didn't even take it out of the fridge.

Krysalus

This is the cat calling the kettle black but, I know its hard to give ur self the shots everyother day....I also have been doing rebif for several years (have had ms since 1988) I have done betaseron, avonex, tysabri (only 1 infusion + 1/2 teaspoon---i'm one of the small percentage of ppl that r not able to take it) and probably another one I can't remember. I had stopped the Rebif but my doc explained how ms is a 'silent' killer--even though i felt basically fine the ms was doing damage to my brain. I started back up and my mri 2yrs ago - when I had been compliant with the Rebif actually showed some shrinkage on a few lesions.
    Fast forward to this year...I'm tired of all the red marks on my stomach and yes, sometimes it takes a couple three times before I 'stick' myself, i'm tired of all the money it costs for insurance and for the medicine, IM JUST TIRED OF IT. But thanks to you, now that I've said out loud and reminded myself that the Rebif has helped, I'm gonna get back on this. Just think, could have diabites and have to give an insulin shot 4 times a day and check our blood sugar 4 - 8 times. So we have it pretty good with only 3 shots a week!!!!! So, Krysalus....lets make a pact that we are going to do this. We can even meet up on line and do the shot together!!!!! Plse excuse my rambling...this is the first time I've ever posted anything--anywhere so I probably haven't done thing correctly.
    I'm going to do my injection Wednesday---shall we meet up??!!

Comment

He4y you two....I know i am also tired of feeling like apincushion, but I also think about my girlfriend who is a diabetic and has been doing this for years, several times a day. Hang in there. I know sometimes I do not have enough strength in my hand and it takes forever to do injection. I have using autoinject also. I did not like it, sonow I just suck it up. I try not to look at the needle and I cringe, but doc says lesions look better. I was stupid and did not ask to see MRI, My fault. I will next time. I was upset cause they said I have progressive, but still want to keep me on Rebif. I have to call and have them explain that soon. I et very confused at docs somtimes and when they said progressive, it just threw me into a panic.

Try to keep it up and you can always come here. I do mine about 10, so if you all need company, we can all log on and do our shots together.

JudySz

Comment

thank you!

wow. This is pretty amazing to me. Very few people in my world want to even acknowledge I have MS. My family doesn't understand. MY dbf does but he's far away from me. I'm actually going to be moving there at the end of the year. I'm looking forward to that.

I'd love to meet up to do shots. I'll have to start on Friday though. Can't tonight. I have to go to a retirement party. It think my biggest problem is that I'm pretty much alone. My son lives with me but he's only 17. He's also not the most sympathetic teenager. Typical boy. It's all about him. He's helpful and then not at times. Can't talk to him about this though.

so - let me know when. I'll be here.

Comment

Krysalus,

I know how you feel. Somehow I hate the shot and can't bear to do it - here's an alternative plan for you:

Switch to Avonex. It's the same medication, but the shot is once per week. it goes into muscle, so it will be your thigh or butt or arm.

Drop in 1x weekly to your doc, either Neuro or Primary care to get them to do the shot. My wife gives me my shots and when she's away, my primary care does it.

If your doc says that Avonex is not as good (there is mixed evidence), you can say it's better than stopping.

Good Luck

Comment

Hey Krysalus thank you......I did my injection last nite.....was worried about side effects (cuz it's been so long since I did one) took a couple of tries but---I did it!!! Also put a bag of frozen mustard greens wrapped in a towel for a couple of hours afterward and no mark today.....we'll just see if it always works!!!
            In reply to BigA I was also on Avonex for several yrs but, I got tired of taking the couple hrs out of my day to go to dr office and get 'stuck'. Also my insurance decided my doc (not my neurologist) wasn't "in network" or something----it's been MANY years, don't remember exact words-----so ins wouldn't pay for all the visit but, I figured some payment was better than none so I wouldn't have to give injections. (and there is NO way has to be intermuscular and it has a big ol long huge needle!!!!!) But, like I said, got tired of it taking so much time out of my day (I am still able to work, but I'm not sure for how much longer--getting tougher and tougher) I stopped that....next mri wasn't that good (i blamed me for stopping meds) doc put me on dif meds. but same thing I get tired of it all and stop. I've always been the kind of person that waits until the last moment to do anything and still come out ok. But, I've got to STOP doing that and that's why--thanks to you--i'm starting my injections again! See you Friday if u want some support!!!!

Comment

I understand...

Hi Krysalus

I understand how you feel - you have every right to feel this way. I don't get panic attacks like you, just feel that I'm held 'hostage' to Rebif. Have you tried your buttocks (need someone to assist with this and applying ice before hand (helps numb the area)? Also, my GP has prescribed migraine tablets to be taken before and after Rebif. I recently had botox to help with the migraines - and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Comment

Secret Weapon

I was the same way. I'm terrified of needles. My poor Rebif nurse sat with me for 2 hours before I could push the button. It's been a year, and I have not missed one dose. I have, however, sat with the injectomatic in my hand for an hour while screaming and crying because I couldn't push the button. The thing that has helped me whittle that time down to 5 minutes is a marvelous prescription cream from my neuro called Lidocaine. It's a topical numbing cream that is so awesome, I don't know why every doctor doesn't think of it. Call your neuro and beg for this marvel. It changes everything.

Comment

so ... here I am

Hi all.

Thanks for being so very supportive. I've been riding a see-saw trying to decide what to do here.

I haven't had a shot in a week (or so). I'm starting again Friday. Talked it over with my doc. I'm gonna stick with it. (pun intended!) I've gotten some numbing cream and I'm starting with my butt. Yay me! I can do everywhere pretty easily but I have to do my stomach last he says.. lol
                  I tend to go there first. My poor tummy is always red. I'm also stocking up on advil for the fever I KNOW I'm going to get.

I tried to get here earlier but it wasn't happening for me. I hate my internet server but it's the only game in town for me right now for cable access. I'm waiting for fios. My new neighbor downstairs accidentally cut the wire. How special. I was thrilled... NOT. But now they have it up again.

so - here's to all of you! Cheers. I'll stick with 3x a week and my doc told me to come on over and he'll do the shot for me after work if I can't talk myself into it. He says he'd rather see me take the Rebif than quit since it IS doing what it's supposed to. I can run in on my way home from work.

Comment

I am so glad you have numbing cream. It makes all the difference. I also do my shot in the bathroom with the faucet on full blast for steady background noise. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X