stem cell procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stem cell procedure

Costa Rica? It appears that they take anyone with out their medical history or understanding of this procedure.

It took me 6 months living in seattle and going to the SCCA (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) or the Hospital ( University of Washington) everyday for constant care of of being prepped
    (Remember This is only a phase II study). It took another type of chemo (cytoxin) in order for me to develop enough stem cells for the autologous stem cell transplant.

That wasn't easy. I ended up being hospitalized (8 days) due to severe pain from the growth hormones that were given at that time.

The clinic and hospital staff had to be very clean and sterile.
    Washing hands or using anti-bacterial solutions all the time.

So by the time my body was ready I had already been living in Seattle for 2 months. (my home is in Nebraska).

Then I had 5 different kinds of chemo 2 times a day for 6 days. On the last day of Chemo my Stem cells were put back into my body. It wasn't fun. The side affects were very difficult. I stayed in the hospital close to four weeks.
    Unfortunately I still have some side affects.

But even though I was able to go back to my rental I felt awful! It took many more IV.s and different medications to keep me going! I was watched all the time. Any question no matter how big or small it was they took seriously. I was seen by a team of doctors, nurses, PA, PT and many other technicians.

During all that time I had to have care givers. Each week I had a new one who flew in from Nebraska or Michigan, to take care of me!

Just remember they are offering it in Costa Rica? Then you should ask why? This was not a simple thing. It should be a well thought out process with you and your physician.

There is a reason why this stem cell transplant is only in phase II study. It's still being researched.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. The Lorax...Suessisms

There is a substantial difference between the two procedures, such that there really is no basis for comparison beyond the fact that stem cells are involved.

To start with the procedure in Costa Rica (now in Panama) does not use any chemotherapy nor does it take a multiple number of months.

Just trying to be accurate and fair, I've expressed my feelings about CR but no one knowledgable about it is under any impression its comparable to a traditional Phase II study nor was it portrayed as such.
    Steve
    sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

Little....the HALT program is stem cell 'transplant' involving the use of chemo (as you know).

Costa Rica and Isreal offer stem cell 'treatment'....2 very different programs. There is a ton of info in this forum about these two sites if you're interested. There has not been much on the transplant because there have been fewer people due to the qualifications to participate in the study. I tried but they did not want me....too far into the MonSter... so I went to Israel instead. In the hospital for 1 day for the infusion then flew home 3 days later. Recovery took about 2 weeks but most of that was due to jet lag!

Would love to hear how you progress with this!
      I'm not perfect....just forgiven!

Comment

Hi littlev, so sorry you had such a rough go
        Hope you have had good results
        Linda
        Linda

Comment

update

on Blog and PLM
          visit my blog on "Project Isreal - MSC treatment"......link is on my profile page......Be Well,Todd

Comment

Working...
          X