No announcement yet.

Cooling Vests...ice pack type vs evaporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Wobbler, I wrote a detailed cooling vest buyer's guide for ActiveMSers. I broke down the types of cooling vests available and highlighted the pluses and minuses of each. Go to activemsers.org and look under Tips & Tricks. Good luck!

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers

Comment

Ice Vests

I find I don't need one here in Oregon if I just get my walk done early. It's not usually humid in the mid Willamette valley.
      I get the ice cube trays filled up and sit in front of a fan until I cool down.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

I thought I researched the vests adequately but found out not enough. I bought the Kool Max by Polar Products and thought it would be the best for me. I knew that I didn't want evaporative type.

I have 11 pockets inside vest where I put frozen ice packs. It feels wonderful but on our very humid days that are also hot here in Houston, it melts and soaks through my clothes and undergarments. I don't want to be dripping as I walk up and down Wal-Mart's aisles and I hate soaking the car seat.

I cannot afford another vest so I have to put up with this one and consequently I am not wearing it as much as I should.

Hope you find the right one.
        "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Sounds like an evaporative vest in Bama wouldn't work well. My dad and step-mom live in N.E. bama in Mentone. It's gorgeous there, not quite as hot or humid as the lower lying areas either. We've considered moving to Chattanooga to be closer to them and my sister in TN. I'm familiar enough with the humidity out there to know that evap products don't work well. I bought a cooling bandana last yr when I was visiting, the kind filled with the pellets. It works soooo much better in dry CA heat than it did out there.

Comment

Vest

I got the ice pack vest from MSAA for free. I just had to send them a doctor's note with my diagnosis. However, I do not use it because it is too bulky. I tried it on under my clothes and with the ice packs it makes me look like the "hunch back of notre dame"! Not comfortable at all!
            ALLISON

Comment

I ended up purchasing the ice pack type and it works for a bit. My head still gets really hot so I have to watch that.

It is bulky and I do look like I am either going fishing or avoiding being shot at but I am able to be outside for a bit longer.

Thanks for all the input

Dizziness returned on Friday...grrrrr!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X