MS Donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Donations

I was just wondering how all of you handle donations?

There was a lady at hubby's work who was doing the MS walk and was asking for donations. Her Ex has MS so she was doing it for him but also put my name on her shirt. Because I just got diagnosed we felt like we should donate (no problem). We gave her $50 and felt good about it.

But now, my sister and her friend are doing a MS bike ride. They need to both raise $250 each. Then I have another friend doing something too. I know they will all ask us to donate but we just can't afford it. My hubby is the only one working and we have two kids.

I'm just not sure how to handle it. I don't want them thinking we're rude if we don't donate anything.

Donations

This was a bit tricky for us too. We put a team together for the WalkMS event, and we made a donation. Then, my BIL rode in the MS150. We offered to donate, but he refused since the ride is meant to help my dh. We were a approached again from a friend riding in the MS150, and we explained that we already made our annual donation to the NMSS. He understood, but we felt a bit uncomfortable. You could also do something else to show your appreciate...bake cookies, volunteer for the event if you are able, or babysit kids on the day of the event. That way they know you support their efforts. Good luck with it.
    Chomsky Chick
    This floating world is but a phantasm.
    It is a momentary smoke.— Zen monk

Comment

When I get the calls from the MS Society (or Cancer Society or Heart Association, etc) I politely tell them that I am donating to a walk (or ride or dance-a-thon or whatever).

When others ask after I have donated, it is more difficult but usually people are okay if you tell them you have sponsored Joe or Mary for the same type of cause.

I used to do a lot of work with youth and got asked by a lot of them. This usually works. Especially if you follow it up with a question about the event after it is over.

Comment

Unfortunately, since I have to spend so much on dr's appointments & meds, I can no longer afford to support the MS society.
        ~This life is only a test. Had it been an actual life, you would have been given further instructions on what to do and where to go~
        Blessings, Kris

Comment

Thanks everyone! Helping out is a good idea!

I guess I'll cross that bridge when it gets here. It's not until Sept. so we have some time. lol

We'd like to participate and donate to our own walk when our city has it's next one, so maybe they'll understand when we tell them what we're doing.

Comment

I couldn't say no and even if it is only $5 I think it would be nice to help support those that are doing this for us.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X