Copaxone availabilty in UAE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone availabilty in UAE

My family is planning to relocate to Dubai. I've been on Copaxone for six months now and I tolerate it quite well.
    Does anyone know if C is available there, and if not how do you travel with a 3-month supply in the heat?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
    on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
    Starting interferons hopefully soon.

That's an interesting question. UAE is quite modern, but still may not have trade with Israel.

You may need to have them transshipped from Europe, turkey or Russia. Are you keeping your US insurance or will you have insurance from UAE? If you have US insurance, you might be able to have someone send them to you from the US.

Comment

Comment

copaxone

BigA,

Thanks for the reply, I have to consider several scenarios. My main concern was that it might be illegal to have it in the first place. I found some people in the teachers lounge who actually are working there, but nobody replied to my question. I wouldn't like the idea to switch over to other dmd's since everything else is an interferon and the C and I were such good partners so far. If I can continue with my therapy then I will try to get it from Europe since I have a very reasonably priced source there. The logistics are a tricky one, since the heat could reach over 100 F most of the year, so it would need a cooling bag but you can't carry icepack on the plane...

Comment

Liquids and Icepacks ok on plane for medical

Maple,
          As a former nasty airport screener, I know that if you have a medical necessity for liquids and or ice packs you can take them on the plane (at least in the US). Any medications you have need to be in your carryon baggage, not your checked baggage. It would also be helpful for you to have a letter from your doctor stating that you needed said items for medical reasons.
          Liquids and ice packs are allowed in checked baggage, but I would only put a spare set of ice packs in you checked baggage just in case you were forbidden from taking them in your carryon.
          Also, if you have any issues with the screeners(if they are newly hired they may not know all the exceptions), politely ask for a supervisor or manager and explain your situation. Again, my experience is as a US based airport screener. The airlines also have links and information on security on their websites.
          Good luck.

Comment

Yes, well 3 or so months is going to be a big bag anyway. You can just travel every few months to get more.

I suspect that even though it's an Israeli product, it will be manufactured in the country you buy it from. So buy it in say Germany and then have a letter from a Neuro in Germany and then it's a whole package.

Also, your employer may have a "man in the airport" who can help you with such things. If you can get a Business or first class ticket, you may go through better customs inspectors too.

Comment

Talking about extreme temperatures: in February I was carrying back a 3 month supply to Moscow And it was -20c or even colder. I had all my meds in my carry-on and had to literally put them under my shirt so they won't freeze. This must have been one of the few times you have to take the bus instead of the jetway...i looked 8 months pregnant.
              I got myself one of these medicooler bags but never actually used it because I haven't needed the ice yet.
              I didn't know you can take ice on board. At Christmas when we were coming back to the USA for the break they just had the big security scare so screenings were
              so elevated you had to take the diapers off the babies...
              I can always try, or maybe just ask the flight attendants to give me a bag of ice from their stash...
              Thanks for the advice.

Comment

in Dubai

Hi Maple

I'm in Dubai. Sorry didn't see your other post - have had a busy few days. I made enquiries about Copaxone as I would have preferred it to the interferons but my neuro tells me it's not available here. Let me know if you have any other questions. A word to the wise - we are having a very hot summer. Temps have already been up to 50C - so be prepared!

Hotnsandy

Comment

Dear hotnsandy,

thanks for the advice. I will move around Christmas time, until then we are in Russia. From one extreme to the other. My doctor said he would inquire about C in Dubai, but if there is none then I guess I have to import it. You don't happen to know if I can do that, do you? I was looking up these frio cooling wallets for the syringes but am not sure they would fit or work properly. Any ideas?
                  Thanks for hour input,

Maple

Comment

I believe it is highly unlikely that Copaxone is available in any Arab country since it is a product of Israel. You might be able to import it, maybe your employer could do it for you.
                    Bill
                    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Christmas is a great time to arrive as the weather should be nice. Sorry I can't help with any info about importing/bringing in - I'd be really interested to hear what you find out as getting it from Europe might be a possibility for me too. Customs here can be tricky re drugs so definitely make sure you have a prescription with you.

Comment

Maple,

I was living in Dubai when I was diagnosed last year. I went back to the US for a second opinion and began taking Copaxone immediately. Before I came back to Dubai I filled 3 months worth of the prescription(the most I could get), put in in a cooler and carried it on board with me. US customs gave me no problems, but UAE customs stopped me, they just didn't understand what it was. I had numerous leaflets and my script but it took two supervisors before they would let me pass. It wasn't a problem with the medication itself, they just didn't understand what it was so they questioned it.

I will confirm for you that it is indeed true, you cannot get C here in Dubai because it is an Israeli product. Because of the nature of my husbands work I have been lucky enough to travel home to the States to fill my RX every few months. Here in Dubai it has been hit and miss whether they stop and question me or not (I think it depends on the person working the xray machine and how interested they are in their job that day). Since my first trip I have obtained a letter from my doctor both in Dubai and the US and this seems to speed the process along when I do happen to get stopped.

I'm not sure about having C mailed in to you from an outside source, my experience with the mail service in and out of Dubai is... a little unpredictable. With cargo as delicate as C I wouldn't trust it to the manhandling that it could experience or trust it will arrive in a timely manner. Once you get your C here safely the heat is not a problem since you can store it in the refrigerator. I pull out about 5 injections at a time and store the rest until needed, no problem since it can sit at room temperature for up to 30 days.

I hoped this helps!

I am now encountering a problem this year because we will be living out of a suitcase while traveling thru EU for work before settling in Malta at the end of the year. I will not have the luxury of going back to the States to fill my C this time and am having a hard time finding out where to get it in Europe. Can someone please recommend a pharmacy I would be able to work with?!

Comment

TO JAKULIN

I just found your reply to my UAE/Copaxone quest, thanks a lot. My doctor in the US told me that Shared Solutions can provide you with a name of company that delivers out of the UK to the Middle East and places you can't get your script in. So in theory if you call them they should be able to tell you whom you could use in Europe.
                          I hope I was of some help,

Maple

Comment

Great to live in America!

What a plight to be in. I would have thought Dubai would be a bit more enlightened. However the hatred of Israel permeates every part of life in the Middle East. So sad, if that is the case.

Do we even think of that here in the USA! I am just thankful that the Israelis developed this med for us.

The trip back and forth to the US is a long one which would be so expensive and difficult.

I REALLY hope you find a solution.

Do they have neuros there in Dubai? What do they recommend I wonder?

I know that the emirate or sultan or whatever traveled to the US for medical treatment as we do have the best in the world.

People come here from all over the world.

We are so fortunate.

Good Luck.

Diane
                            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                            X