Bladder control a relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladder control a relapse?

Is loss of bladder control considered a relapse? I totally lost control during sleep one night last week.

Since then I have had a loss of sensation telling me I need to go urinate.

I have a DX of MS however it is not solid because I only have 1 lesion in the white matter of my frontal lobe.

I have a cloudy area in my periventricular.

I had trigeminal neuralgia start up 6 years ago and 3 years ago optic neuritis. 2 years ago another bout of ON.

That lead to my dx however they are looking for other things. I had an LP but do not have the results back.

They took me off of Betaseron in January. I am now having loss of bladder control at night.

They want to see those lesions! I fit MS clinically but not as far as the MRI is concerned.

I have to wait and see what the LP shows. They have tried to tell me I am psychosomatic. Does that cause Optic Neuritis????

I have posted before but I do not think I posted about this total loss of bladder control. I has not happened again so far and it has been a week.

LA
    LA dx MS feb 2008
    Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

LA,

Have you ever had a c-spine MRI. Spinal lesions can cause problems with bladder and bowels.

Is it a relapse...possibly. A UTI could cause loss of control but that would not explain the loss of sensation.

Call your doctor LA.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hello LA

It must be so frustrating for you to have so many symptoms, and yet no firm diagnosis.

I am not qualified to say if your loss of bladder control is a relapse. It would be a good idea to let your neuro know about any new, sudden change.

Sorry that you have to go through this long ordeal with waiting

Best wishes that your symptoms subside, and you get some answers soon.

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Snoopy
        Nothing shows up on the c-spine. I had a t-spine a couple of years ago that was ok. I am going to call my PCP today and see if I can get a urine test.

Hi KoKo,
        I called my neuro and let them know. My doctor was out last week. Maybe I will hear something back today.
        He is still waiting on the rest of my LP testing and blood tests to come back.
        I have been able to deal with the things that have changed in my life but the loss of bladder control and waking up completely soaked, even my husband knew, it was too much. Lots of crying.
        LA dx MS feb 2008
        Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

Comment

In January I woke up a few times with overflow incontinence, totally soaked, I was shocked! Turns out I had a bladder infection, didn't know it.

I believe the infection triggered a flare, and I also did not have the normal feelings of having to go. Very upset, and started wearing depends at night just in case. (My DH has made jokes about depends....oh, he's so funny....)

When the infection was finally treated, I stopped having the overflow wetting at night. Then last week it happened again!

Turns out I had a raging UTI again.

I am determined to get this situation under control and be prepared for this to recur from time to time. I am upset because this has really affected my day to day living.

Comment

It could be an exacerbation, but probably just the general continuation of problems that will vary with time. I take a Cranberry supplement for UTI prevention. Just drinking Cranberry juice may work if you drink at least a gallon or more per day, two capsules are much easier and cheaper.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I am REALLY sorry you are going through this too. I have had an attitude towards all of this of staying positive. When the loss of bladder control started it hit me very hard.

I am scheduled to go into my doctor later today to get checked out. This does stink.

I bought Depends but have not used them during the day but I am really worried about losing control out in public!

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
              In January I woke up a few times with overflow incontinence, totally soaked, I was shocked! Turns out I had a bladder infection, didn't know it.

I believe the infection triggered a flare, and I also did not have the normal feelings of having to go. Very upset, and started wearing depends at night just in case. (My DH has made jokes about depends....oh, he's so funny....)

When the infection was finally treated, I stopped having the overflow wetting at night. Then last week it happened again!

Turns out I had a raging UTI again.

I am determined to get this situation under control and be prepared for this to recur from time to time. I am upset because this has really affected my day to day living.
              LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

wow! That would be a lot of juice!! The pills sound like a better option.

Originally posted by wkikta View Post
                It could be an exacerbation, but probably just the general continuation of problems that will vary with time. I take a Cranberry supplement for UTI prevention. Just drinking Cranberry juice may work if you drink at least a gallon or more per day, two capsules are much easier and cheaper.
                LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

My test came back and it is not a bladder infection.

LA
                  LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

LA,

Since it's not an infection then maybe it's time to see a Urologist. Did you doctor offer any suggestions or thoughts?
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

No nothing like that so far. They are waiting on my LP results. It is frustrating to me.

I have MS like clinical symptoms, Optic neuritis with nerve damage, one lesion in the white matter of my frontal lobe, and now loss of bladder control during my sleeping hours.

No LP had been done when I was diagnosed. It seems like this neuro is doing a much more thorough exam than the one that dx'd me.

However the difference is the one who dx'd me was an MS doctor and this one is not. My MS doctor retired and closed his clinic due to lack of funding.

So I am hanging here for a couple more weeks. The neuro knows I am having loss of bladder control and so does my PCP. I called my PCP to ask for the urine test.

I saw him yesterday and he told me, "now don't you go doing that!" Meaning he knows that is another symptom of MS OR something going on.

It is good I have children here to keep my mind off of myself.

I have a new puppy who is 3 1/2 months old. I have been able to take her to puppy kindergarten! I enjoy it so much. Later this month my daughter and I are going to take our dogs to dog obedience class every Monday.

That should be fun and interesting! Her dog had no idea how to be obedient!!

LA

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      LA,

Since it's not an infection then maybe it's time to see a Urologist. Did you doctor offer any suggestions or thoughts?
                      LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

slk

For me, loss of bladder control is my first warning sign that I am about to go in to a relapse. With that said...every one is different. Listen to your body and learn.
                        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thanks fishead, maybe the doctor will get this figured out soon!

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                          slk

For me, loss of bladder control is my first warning sign that I am about to go in to a relapse. With that said...every one is different. Listen to your body and learn.
                          LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

Working...
                          X