anesthetic cream for injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anesthetic cream for injections

just starting avenox (was already on rebif and copaxone) was wondering if anyone uses an anesthetic cream or spary before injecting. Thanks
    Nicole
    Diagnosed Sept 2006
    First occurance of ON 2001

Anesthetic cream

The brand name of the anesthetic cream is Emla. It is a lidocaine cream. You spread it on the area to be injected about an hour before the injection, wipe it off and you are good to go. It is available only by prescription.

Comment

I never used an anesthetic before injecting Avonex. Never felt the need to. To me, a paper cut hurts far worse than an Avonex injection. And compared to the stinging and burning and site reactions of Rebif and Copaxone, an Avonex injection is almost a relief.

Comment

The only time I have pain with an Avonex injection is when I don't wait long enough for the alcohol to dry completely.

Comment

Avonex was my first med, and honestly, I rarely even felt the shot itself. I am now on Rebif, and that shot stings WAY worse.
          Melody
          Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

What is quicker than the cream is to just use an ice cube on the site for a couple of minutes. It will completely numb the site so there is no prick pain. Been doing it for years.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Lidocaine

I think Lidocaine is great stuff. Unfortunately the powers that be took most products with it in it off the shelves and now it must usually be gotten with a prescription.

It used to be in sunburn products, my favorite was a product I bought in Florida called BurnOff. It was great stuff and I kept if for years. Then when I ran out and went to buy some I found the had gone out of business. No more BurnOff.

The government always says they have to remove this from shelves due to abuse. Most people don't abuse stuff; the dopes who do are the ones that should be removed.

I had another favorite product which was wonderful for Poison Ivy or any itch which is also gone now.

I noticed the FDA also fiddled with Kaopectate and you rarely see the pill form anymore .....there is still liquid but its not the same either.

Too sad.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

That's weird - is there even a way to abuse lidocaine? lol Maybe people were just over-over using it? Leave it to some people to screw things up for everyone else

There is benzocaine alcohol wipes that you can use before injecting. It has a slight numbing action to it after a few seconds of wiping with it...

Comment

thanks guys. I was on avenox about 6 years ago and am trying it again so maybe the injection wont be as bad as I remember plus now the needles are smaller.
                  Nicole
                  Diagnosed Sept 2006
                  First occurance of ON 2001

Comment

Make sure you ask for the smaller needles, they are 1" 25 gauge. I have a seperate prescription for the needles.

My other advice is to make sure the area you are injecting is very loose and "jiggly". A relaxed muscle is key.

Comment

Working...
                    X