First IV Steroids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First IV Steroids

Thursday is my first IV steroid treatment, this is the first time I had one what should I expect as far as any side effects or will they make me feel better for a while ??

Thanks

I was very nauceous the first day. The nurse there gave me some ginger chews & they did help. You can find those at Trader Joes. By the 3rd day I was mostly really .......grumpy, like a terrible case of PMS. I also got the most HORRIBLE taste in my mouth while having the IV. Nothing helped but the nurse did tell me that is not common so hopefully that doesn't happen to you. Best wishes to you.

Comment

I.V. Steroids

Hi Dynoman

Steroids are very hard on your stomach so make sure you eat a good breakfast before you go and losec (prescription) is good to protect your stomach. You can get a Metal taste in your mouth, so you need to buy some mints,also steroids make you very anxious and give you a hard time sleeping so you will need something to help you sleep.Its really not bad at all, just make sure you either get a prescription for something to coat you stomach or just get something at the pharmacy.

The best part is that you will feel so much better after the whole thing is over. The steroid i.v. should be followed up with one of the medications for MS. Take care, don't worry, its all okay. Diane

Comment

Good luck with your first IV treatment!!

I had them once a month for a year and never had any bad side affects. I did get the metal mouth taste, but just chewed on some gum or used lemon drops. This went away mostly after the day of the treatment.

Never had trouble sleeping, no aches or pains, only good things happened!!

I had a nurse come to my home to give it to me, very conveinent! I was walking around my house doing things, as it was dripping in my body I could notice a better feeling right away! My weak leg was lifting up higher and my walking and balance was better too.

I was really impressed!! Hopefully you will be too!!

Comment

Like everything else with MS everyone your side effects will be unique to you. I've heard of people with no side effects at all and others with a slew of them.

For me, the two side effects were hunger and hicupps. I was ravenously hungry for about 48 hours after they were administered.

The other and worst side effect was hicupps. I'm told this is rare (lucky me) but the first time I had the IV I literally had them for 20 hours a day - morning noon and night - for 3 solid days. Sleeping was a challenge and after a while my ribs and stomach were sore from all the spasming. It sucked beyond belief.

I still get the IV monthly, and still get the hicupps, but they are less severe in their frequency or duration. They only last less than a day and are sporadic. Guess that means I'm getting used to them. That first time was something I hope I never have to repeat.
          Steve

Comment

The metal taste is annoying, but mints and gum help.

I had a little bit of heartburn, so I took Pepcid.

Other than that, it was when I was finished with the steroids that I felt terrible. Two days after last treatment, I crash (no energy, etc.) My hair and skin are soooo greasy for about 10 days afterwards. I also break out like a teenager. I am finally beginning to clear up, but I would rec. getting an acne med. I called my dermatologist and got one.
            Melody
            Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Make sure you take some kind of antacid like priosec or zantac, that was the first thing my Dr. told me. The steroids can cause some pretty bad stomach issues.

As for the metal taste, I have found that Altoids and Lemon Heads really helped, i just sat there sucking on them during the IV and for a bit afterward and it really helped lessen the time i tasted metal

Comment

IV Steroids

My DH just came off 5 days last Sunday, he started with the hiccups the very first day they finally stopped on Tuesday. He developed a bad case of thrush that went down into his throat where he could barely talk on Wed. Now he is complaining with his hip and cheek bones hurting not sure if this is a side effect or not. The steroids did help him with the control of his bladder and sharp pains in back of his head. I just wish he didn't have to deal with the side effects!

Comment

I just finished my 2nd infusion a little bit ago...and have my 3rd one tommorrow. I get a bad metal taste in my mouth, but it goes away rather quickly. I get really tingly all over (probably just getting sensation back). I can't sleep..no matter how many tylenol PM I take. I get extremely hungry, but since I know that it is just the steroids, I try to watch what I eat. I also get a steroid belly for about a month following the steroids...kinds looks like I'm pregnant. Oh yeah...mood swings! Good luck.
                  DX RRMS 2001
                  Organic Anxiety Disorder
                  Campath-Nov.2010

Comment

My first round of steroids made me feel crazy. They effect my mood. Don't worry, it passes. Don't make the mistake of thinking that how you feel now is the new reality. The effect of steroids wears off, and you should improve from how you feel during your flare. It takes time, and time takes time.

Comment

iv steroids and me

I was on iv steroids for almost two years. I would get the quarterly infusion for three days then a 12 day taper. The last 2 quarters, on the third day of infusion my heartrate dropped to 40 beats a minute. It did not return to normal for 5-7 days. During this time I felt ill, confused, fatigued and very weak. The last time this happened, my home health care nurse stopped the infusion and called my Nurse Practitioner. I have been taken off steroids. I did very well with them. No pain, better mobility better eyesight. But, as my NP said "they can't kill me to treat my MS". I am being put on something called Methotrxate. After reading the pamphlet I was given, I think I will politely decline. They side affects are terrifying. Good luck with your steroids. I wish I could have stayed on them.

Comment

HUNGRY!!!

The IV Solumedrol made me hungry all the time!

Then the bad metal taste in my mouth. I drank alot of OJ.

Then the loss of taste. I could taste chocolate but nothing else.

Then the swelling. My face and legs and wrists swelled up alot.

Then Id have some muscle weakness after a few days but rehab always helped.

Then the sleeplessness. I was always wired and awake.

Then the blurry vision. This was because the Solumedrol increased my blood sugar and put me in a diabetic state.

I think that is about all I experience when I do my IV solumedrol treatments. I usually do the 5 day treatment.

Comment

Methotrexate is not prescribed in the dosage that will result in those serious side effects you read about. If you were being treated for cancer, then yes, but you're being given a dose for MS, which would be around the same dose that I've been on to treat my RA-type disease for 2+ years now. The only side effects I ever had was mild nausea and bad headaches the first few doses. I make sure to eat a high carb snack or meal when I take my weekly dose. Methotrexate is commonly rxed for autoimmune arthritis. You do have to get your liver and kdney function checked monthly via a bloodtest. I've had absolutely no problems on it. Please don't be afraid to try it. Really, the only reason not to, would be if you were planning on becoming pregnant in the next few months, because it can cause birth defects if either the male or female parent was on it.

Comment

I had my first IV steroids last week - at the hospital clinic where they have an infusion center. They worked around my schedule and were helpful and nice - that part was really great. The IV portion of the steroids was fine, metal taste went away toward the end of each day, a bit of an upset stomach the first day or two. I'm now on a month taper with a fairly high dose (at least I think it is) of steroids. I think this part has been more difficult for me - sleeplessness, digestive issues that seem to come and go. Moodiness and change in moods have been difficult as well. I will get through this, however I will give good thought to if I will do this again. I see some improvement in symptoms, however the improvements are 50% and I'm not sure what (being currently involved) if the cost/benefit is in my favor. The NP has written this treatment cycle for 5 more months - and I know I won't do that.

In the scheme of things this experience wasn't horrible.

Comment

Working...
                            X