HELP...starting Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP...starting Avonex

So...I have tried Rebif. Could never handle the 44 dose, and my neuro doesn't believe that only 22 is effective due to lack of data. Copaxone...was okay, but the every day thing was a downer. Now, my neuro is prescribing Avonex. Who here is/was on it? What did you think of it? Any really bad side effects? I am nervous about it since it seems most people are on Rebif or Copaxone. Thanks for any imput

I have been on it since february. I do not mind the injection part but the side effects can be challenging. I had my shot last night and today had a headache but accomplished as much as any day. I do pre-medicate with Aleve and stay on it for 24 hours. The side effects have definitely diminished since my first dose.

I've said it before, I am a weird case because I had minimal to no symptoms when I started it...just an abnormal MRI and a bad case of Bells Palsy. So I cannot make any claim to the effectiveness of the treatment.

I like the minimal injections, and I rarely feel the shot at all. Wishing you the best.

Comment

I have been on it for 9 1/2 years. No side effects after the first few months. I did take a 10mg Prednisone at lunch on shot day for a few months. I still take two Naproxen (Aleve) after the shot even though I probably don't need them, but at about .03 each why not. Now I do the shot Friday morning and just go about my day.

Best of Luck!
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Been on Avonex just shy of 7 years. While I did have a tough time at first, I agree with all those who premedicate with Aleve. Works very well for me too.

This week I had flu-like achiness, I had forgotten my Aleve....sigh.....

Rebif and Avonex are the same interferon, you may do very well on Avonex being that it is a lower dose.

Comment

The flu symtoms were hard for me, but got better. Now I can even work through the day with a shot friday morning.

You may have the effects, so be ready. At least you only endure it once a week.

Comment

I've been on it 3 months and have posted about my experiences here quite a bit. Side effects were only a big deal right at the beginning, and very few now as long as I hydrate and take ibuprofen beforehand.

Comment

Been on it for almost a year, the side effects have subsided, although i do get an occassional relapse. My last one, and its always on the left side, gave me a fever, chills and nausea...and its been awhile.

I like the once a week deal! I got the smaller approved needle which definately helps and I do pre medicate before shot..tylenol for me im allergic to everything else.

Goodluck..I hope it works for you!

Comment

A little case study on hydration

I took my shot tuesday night and really had no side effects this time. Last week was rough. What was the difference?? Hydration! I made a concerted effort to drink a ton on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week and it seemed to work.

Comment

Avonex "oldtimer"

I have been on Avonex for fourteen years. Early on I had side effects, mainly a temporary worsening of MS symptoms (especially fatigue) for twelve hours or so after the shot. That has long since gone away and for years now I rarely have any SE and don't even premedicate. I sometimes get some SE if the shot coincides with heat or stress. So I try to take it easy on shot day.
                  Oh, one other thing. I did get a return to SE when trying the prefilled syringe. So I am now, and have been for years, on the original powdered form.
                  In all that time I have remained stable with no attacks. I know it doesn't work for everbody, but it sure has worked for me.
                  - Roy
                  Been taking Avonex since June 96
                  For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
                  Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

[B]i'VE BEEN ON AVONEX FOR 4 WEEKS NOW.I LIKE THAT I ONLY HAVE TO HAVE 1 SHOT A WEEK,I DRINK LOTS OF FLUID THE DAY BEFORE AND TAKE A MOTRIN BEFOREHAND.MY HUBBY GIVES ME THE SHOT IT DOESN'T HURT THAT BAD.WHEN U ARE INJECTING THE MEDICINE JUST GO SLOW!!!!THE NEEDLE PART HE DOES QUICKLY.NOW I DO GET SIDE EFFECTS HEADACHE/STOMACHACHE/ACHEY/VERY VERY TIRED,I JUST CRAWL INTO BED AND IM FINE THE NEXT DAY.
                    GOOD LUCK!!!
                    MANDM3243

Comment

I've been taking Avonex since 2008. Some SE the first month or so. Still get chills and headaches once and a while. Just do fluids, meds. Do shot Fri. night...Really don't mind doing the shot. MRI after 1 year on Avonex and no new lesions. Good luck to you!!!

Allison

Comment

I am going to be starting Avonex soon. I liked the idea of only once a week. I hope it works for me. I am wondering though how much this is going to cost me. I have BCBS. I wonder how much they are going to cover. Anyone have any idea or info for me about cost of this drug.

Comment

Originally posted by aralis View Post
                          I am going to be starting Avonex soon. I liked the idea of only once a week. I hope it works for me. I am wondering though how much this is going to cost me. I have BCBS. I wonder how much they are going to cover. Anyone have any idea or info for me about cost of this drug.

You really need to ask your insurance.

Comment

Hi,
                            I just wanted to tell you my story. I have been on Rebif since Sept. I was diagnosed last July. I was only on the full dosage of Rebif for one month. I had to drop to the 22 mcg dose due to a decreased white count. If you do some research there have been studies on that dose. My neuros all told me that the Rebif 22 mcg dose three times a week is still double the dose of Avonex. Avonex is 30 mcg. (Again, this is the opinion of my neuros, others may not agree) There are others who have posted who have done well on that dosage and from what I have heard, in Europe that is the dosage that they are maintained on.

Originally posted by dixiemermaid View Post
                            So...I have tried Rebif. Could never handle the 44 dose, and my neuro doesn't believe that only 22 is effective due to lack of data. Copaxone...was okay, but the every day thing was a downer. Now, my neuro is prescribing Avonex. Who here is/was on it? What did you think of it? Any really bad side effects? I am nervous about it since it seems most people are on Rebif or Copaxone. Thanks for any imput

Comment

Working...
                            X