migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migraines

I've had MS for 10 years. Last thursday I had a regular headache all day. Then friday morning I woke up and the headache was worse and out the blue just started throwing up, feeling like I was going to pass out. It scared me so my son took me to the er and they gave me lots of IV meds to control it.

They told me this is common with MS. That's the first I heard of it. I PRAY this doesn't happen again. I am completley wiped out from this ordeal.

Anyone get these?
    Linda

My headaches seem to be tension headaches, but I sure know alot of people with migraines.

Some have figured out the triggers for their headaches, activities or foods. Some take a medication to prevent migraines.

The one migraine med. I tried was Duradrin, which worked well but I had a severe sedating side effect that was rare. Lucky me.....I do take Excedrin for Migraine sometimes for headache, or a big dose of ibuprofen.

My daughter had typical migraines with auras and was so sick with them. She outgrew them, and hasn't had any in several years now.

Hope your migraine was an isolated incident!

Comment

I get frequent migraines, sometimes lasting days at a time.

I was given Fioricet with codeine... doesnt work for everyone but has helped me several times. I can take just when needed or to help prevent them...(doesnt usually work that way for me tho).

If this IS a sx of MS, they should have dx'd me years ago. LOL and all neuro's Ive seen are aware of my migraines. So go figure.

Hope you had an isolated incident, and dont get any more... I understand the pain from them all to well and wouldnt wish my worst enemy a migraine.
      Janel Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner Child playing with matches.
      Dx date: 7/15/2010

Comment

when I say I feel your pain.......

I'm so sorry you had to experience migraine !! I've had them for 30 years. They are horrible; the menstrual ones disrupted and ruined my life more than MS has. Thanks to the development of Amerge ( one of the "triptan" meds, I can take one as soon as I feel the migraine, and it usually works to totally eliminate the pain and nausea.

Things are also much better now that I'm old (58)LOL!!!
        No more monthly nightmare headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, missed social engagements, days at work, snotty docs who didn't believe in migraines....etc etc.

May you never have another !!
        spring

Comment

migraines

I had migraines in my teens, then "grew out" of them.

After having MS for a few years, they started coming back. I don't know if it's from the MS or it's just I had them, they went away and came back.

I do know that for too long I just kept taking pain med, laying in a dark, silent room and suffering. Hoping not to throw up.

I take so many meds already that I didn't want more. My dr talked me into at least trying Sumatriptan. I take one as soon as I feel a migraine (not regular headache) coming on. It has so changed my experience with headaches!

If they keep coming- talk to your dr. I didn't want anymore meds, but since I only have to take this one when I have a headache- I tried it and I am so glad I did.

I hope your experience with migranes was a fluke, but if more start coming- ask for help. I am so glad I finally did.

Good luck to you!

Comment

My 2 cents

I'm neither a doctor nor a nurse. But for a year leading up to diagnosis, I had a very stressful life, elder care, catastrophic illnesses, dividing time between my child and my parents ...

I had headaches every day, visual disturbances with them, a halo effect, pain in the eyes ... nausea, vertigo, and eventually an er trip due to dehydration.

While they searched for reasons (it took months before being named MS) I made my own decision to change my menu, following the Swank suggestions to cut all meat, dairy, fried, and fat. I didn't get into the supplements recommended - just eliminated all the inflammatory foods ... stuck with vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, decaf tea ....

The headaches stopped, despite the continuing life stresses and the diagnostic stresses ... they stopped completely with a few weeks ... that was three years ago. I think I may have had one headache in these three years, due to eye strain reading student essays written in pencil (and yes, I now require typed or ink.)

Please think about what you eat. My mother had headaches for as long as I knew her, and died of Alzheimer's disease and cardiac arrest. She never altered her menu ... but spent all of her life trying one diet plan and another, counting calories, measuring portions, but never eliminating whole groups of food as I have. Swank wasn't known then; we all just assumed it was in our genetics to be "round". But I have disproven that. I lost 50 pounds that first year, and have kept it off.

I believe eliminating inflammatory foods such as meat and dairy and fat is what made the difference for me.
            First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
            Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

How ironic that I am reading this post while I have a migraine. Unfortunately, I've had this little bugger for the past week, and we're moving onto week two. I've found that the weather plays a big part in my migraines, and they are worse when the heat is really intense. I take prescription Ultram when my headache starts, then drink as much liquid as I can get my hands on, and this usually at least moves my migraine down to a manageable headache.

A while ago I downloaded an app for my iphone called iheadache. When I get a headache I note the date and duration in the app, along with symptoms I am having and possible triggers. It's helped me notice patterns in my migraines and headaches, and I can show this to my doctor, giving him more information than I could otherwise.

Comment

migrane log

Thanks for the info on following migranes with a log on iphone. I'm going to go download it now. My doctor asks me for info and I give general info, but specific info would help so much more! I swear, my iphone is so helpful with my ms! It's like my own secretary or something. I better not ever forget where I put it...

Comment

Working...
                X