Copaxone post reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copaxone post reaction

I have been on copaxone for about 15 years. Never had a reaction except for chills every now and then. Last night I did my shot and all the sudden I noticed it was hard to breath and my face felt hot. I took my blood pressure and it was 180/108. About 30 minutes later I stated to shake. I realized it was probably a reaction to the medication. I felt better in about an hour, i took a benedryl, not sure if it mattered or not and crashed out.

This morning I feel awful, my throat feels like I need to clear it, kind of like when you are coming down with a cold type feeling. my face still feels a little warm but then it's hot out. I just feel wiped out and achy.

I won't take another shot until I call my neuro on Monday, I know we're supposed to call someone as soon as you get a reaction, but it's the weekend, all my docs are gone until Monday. What should I do?
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Wow, that is amazing that you went 15 years before having an IPIR from the copaxone. That blood pressure situation is scary. I did not know that could happen with an IPIR although it does make sense. If you are really worried, I am sure there is a neuro on call. I hope you feel better.

Originally posted by Katje View Post
    I have been on copaxone for about 15 years. Never had a reaction except for chills every now and then. Last night I did my shot and all the sudden I noticed it was hard to breath and my face felt hot. I took my blood pressure and it was 180/108. About 30 minutes later I stated to shake. I realized it was probably a reaction to the medication. I felt better in about an hour, i took a benedryl, not sure if it mattered or not and crashed out.

This morning I feel awful, my throat feels like I need to clear it, kind of like when you are coming down with a cold type feeling. my face still feels a little warm but then it's hot out. I just feel wiped out and achy.

I won't take another shot until I call my neuro on Monday, I know we're supposed to call someone as soon as you get a reaction, but it's the weekend, all my docs are gone until Monday. What should I do?

Comment

idea

You can call shared solutions as they are there 24/7.

Comment

Unusual

I was on Copaxone for 6 months and I had the same reaction 2 days in a row. It happened immediately after I did the shot. It is unusual but it happens. A few weeks later, I ended up discontinuing the shots because they were not working for me.
        Rae Roy

Comment

Katje, when I was on Copaxone, I had an IPIR that was similar to yours. It was terrifying for me!

Eventually, I did calm down, but the next day, I was wiped out.

I stayed on Copaxone until I had a terrible reaction to a shot in my thigh. My neuro took me off and I switched to Betaseron.

Best of luck to you. Report it to Shared Solutions.
          Sue
          Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
          Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Katje View Post

Congratulation on making it 15 yrs. Wow.

I'm only 3 weeks. Your reaction doesn't seem to be the typical reaction as they describe it, but who knows.

Since you've done so well up till now I think you are doing the right thing by taking a break and calling your doctor.

I have other illnesses, including Asthma, which seem to be worsening now. In reading about Copaxone I do see that is something that can happen. If this medication impacts your 'haywire' immune system it would make sense that other ailments could worsen.

In the 15 yrs. you've been taking Copaxone have you suffered from high blood pressure or other things? I don't mean due to C, but just part of aging or acquiring other problems with your health.

Those of us with MS get very focused on what MS is doing to us and sometimes miss other problems.

Let us know what happens.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I was on C for 5 mos before my 1st IPIR and it was just about identical to what you described. 15 years! I wish it had taken that long before I experienced that reaction. It is lousy and it did take a day to recover, totally wiped me out.

Comment

I would also probably hold off until you have a chance to speak to your Doctor.

It is my understanding that there isn't anything they can do during an IPIR so just ride it out like you did is probably the best thing. The Benadryl sounds like a good idea also. Let us know what the Doctor tells you. Hang in there.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Well my neuro feels it's probably not from the copaxone. I don't get it! I think mainly because in 15 years I never had this reaction AND my BP shot up and I have a history of hypertension. So she seems to think it was due to hypertension. Although I agree the timing is very odd, I do think it was the copaxone and I also had some mild chills about 40 minutes later.
                  Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

I had a couple reactions about 2 years ago...nothing dramatic, but I knew what it was. I also from time to time would get little hive-like blisters near the injection sites. and I do mean sites...for example, if I injected into my leg, sites from the previous couple of days would start itching like crazy and get the little water filled blister looking things.

Like you, it was a weekend and I did call shared solutions. What they told me was to not inject until I spoke with my doctor. The doctor advised that I take benadryl 30 minutes before injecting. Since I inject at night, it works well...benadryl, shoot and sleep!

But wow...15 years!!! Good for you !!!
                    Dx 06/07
                    Copaxone

Comment

Working...
                    X