Surgery and Rebif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery and Rebif

Has anyone had surgery while they were on Rebif. Do you need to stop it before the surgery?

I have never had to have surgery while on Rebif but I want to say that somewhere I read a post about someone that quit taking it for 1 week prior to surgery and resumed right afterwards. I don't remember if that was on here, or another forum...

Comment

Surgery while on Rebif

I have been taking Rebif for almost 4 1/2 years. In February I had a mastectomy. I discussed whether or not to take the Rebif with both my neurologist and the surgeon. Neither saw any reason to stop taking the Rebif. Of course, everyone's situation is different. Do not make this decision on your own. You likely have no medical information or expertise upon which to base a decision. If you stop taking the medication it is possible that you will have to titrate back up to your regular dosage which will require a new prescription and a doctor visit anyway. Talk to your doctors.

Comment

Jessie,
        I am sorry to hear about your mastectomy. So much to deal with!!

I've been on Rebif since last Sept. I was only on the full dose for a month because I had a drop in my white count. So I've been on a lower dose. Anyway, my white count is still lower than normal on the lower dose, so I suspect that if I need surgery, in my case, I will need to stop it for fear of the possibility of an infection due to the low white count. On the other hand, by the time I have the surgery, I may need to stop it altogether because of the low white count.

Originally posted by jessiesmom View Post
        I have been taking Rebif for almost 4 1/2 years. In February I had a mastectomy. I discussed whether or not to take the Rebif with both my neurologist and the surgeon. Neither saw any reason to stop taking the Rebif. Of course, everyone's situation is different. Do not make this decision on your own. You likely have no medical information or expertise upon which to base a decision. If you stop taking the medication it is possible that you will have to titrate back up to your regular dosage which will require a new prescription and a doctor visit anyway. Talk to your doctors.

Comment

Working...
        X