SWANK DIET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWANK DIET

Has anyone ever followed the Swank Diet? I'm recently diagnosed and want to make sure I stay healthy. Does this really work or is there something better out there? I'd like to hear what everyone has to say.

You might want to check out the "Tara's Nutrition Notebook" forum here. There's lots of discussion of the various MS diets, including Swank.

Comment

Hello Jdg467:

Welcome to MSWORLD.

You might want to check out one of MSWORLD's other forum section on this site.
      First go to the link above for MSWORLD Message Boards,
      then scroll down until you see 'Tara's Nutrition Notebook'.

In that section, you'll find all kinds of info to research through.

Most every Sunday, Tara herself, will answer/offer info to
      some of the posts

Lots of great diet/nutritional info there related to MS

Enjoy!
      ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
      dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Hi jdg and WELCOME to MSWorld!

I have never tried it but have read about it here. There is a forum called - Tara's Nutrition Notebook and you hopefully can find alot of info there, personal experiences and such.

Good luck and hope you visit here often! Kathy

Comment

*laughing uncontrollably*

Wow! Interesting that we all said the same in response!
          Just goes to prove, Tara's board is definitely worth the read!
          ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
          dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

Anomalie

Could it be a case of great minds thinking alike?..........

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

thanks

wow i guess if you get the same answer from various people then i must follow the advice. thank you all for the welcome. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the info there is out there for MS but yet really not anyone that explains it quite good enough to fully comprehend.

i'll check out Tara's board.

Comment

Whether you follow the diet or not, I reccomend his book. If he hadn't invented the diet, he would still be remembered for being a great neurologist who helped his patiends deal with their illness at a time when there were no medications.

You'll get a perspective on the disease you won't get anywhere else if you read it. Check it out from your library. It's called "The Multiple Sclerosis Diet Book" By Ray Laver Swank. Most any diet you do for MS will be based on his reasearch. I'm following an updated version, but not Swanks, but you should see the original source.

The other thing you want to do is to make sure your vitaminD levels are up where they should be. See my profile for some excellent links.

Comment

Hi jdg,

I have been on and off of the Swank diet, and now back on.

Does it work? I guess it depends on what you mean by "work".

I was fairly skeptical at first, and it is a difficult diet to follow, so I went off it. After a couple of months off the diet my symptoms seemed to be a lot worse, so I decided I would try it again.

I have been back on it for 3 weeks, and the symptoms are easing again.

Is this because of the diet...or something else? I don't know but I think I will stick with the diet!

I also agree with what BigA says as well about the Swank book being a good one to read.

The thing is , the Swank Diet is all about low fat, which is healthier for everyone, not just those of us with MS.

There is information about The Swank Diet on line. Just google "Swank MS Foundation".

Good luck and good eating!
                  skeezix
                  dx. rrms Nov/09. Not using DMD's.
                  Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Comment

Working...
                  X