Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-Cathing input needed.

Hello all,

I need a little bit of input from those of you who cath. I just started cathing last week. Since the second day, I've been able to do it without looking. The problem is that I've been seeing a tiny bit of blood, not in the urine steam, and you can't see any in the cath as it is draining. It's whenever I pull out the cath, that I notice just a little spotting in the tubing. I don't have a UTI and I am very careful whenever I do it---never pushing it in too far. My question is, could this just be from irritation of the urethra because I am so new at this? I have been experiencing a tiny bit of burning whenever I remove the cath and pull it past the sphincter. Although I certainly need to cath, I don't want to kill myself doing it.

Input please?

Gracie

have had the same thing from time to time. my dr said that a little blood (either on or in the tubing) is common, and not a problem. it happens for a variety of reasons. same with the burning. the urethra may have been scratched previously, or otherwise irritated. as long as it`s a very short sensation and quits after the cath is removed, not to worry. if it continues after a week or so call him/her. hope this helps. good luck.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It could just be a little trauma or scraping, your urethra just isn't used to being cath's yet. It shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to lubricate well.
      "So, perhaps our task in this shaky, fast-changing, bewildering world in which we live is to make music, at first with all that we have, and then, when that is no longer possible, to make music with all that we have left." UNKN

Comment

I had the wrong size catheters (the ones for men) at first and cut them to the right size. I had spotty bleeding when I used them, apparently from my lousy cutting of the cath.

Since then, I make absolutely, positively sure that I order the right ones (for females), and I haven't had any bleeding since.
        As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Comment

I used to have to cath. No more since the Interstim.

I had trouble all the time, could never get past the pain when I removed the cath. Make sure you lube the tube really well.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X