Neurontin vs Tegretol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurontin vs Tegretol

I was on Neurontin for nerve pain in the right arm from the shoulder all through the hand and was up to 3 pills 3 x/day for a couple of years. I was not sure it was working very well so my neurologist put me on Tegretol and I'm taking 4 pills per day, 800 mg. They seem to be working although I still also need 1-2 Vicodin/day as well. Anyone else switch over? Is it working as well as neurontin of any other thing to share? I guess I need to have some labs done now to check liver function, is it stronger than Neurontin? Thanks.

I've used Tegretol for five years and have had a very good experience with it. Are you taking a total of 800 mgs per day---4X200 mgs? Without Tegretol I would not have had any quality of life during these last years. My paroxysmal tonic spasms were so bad that I was totally incapacitated and landed in the hospital. Tegretol wiped them out within 24 hours and I now only experience the occasional breakthrough episode.

That being said, it has contributed to the fatigue issue and beacause of this, I'm currently switching over to Keppra. Hopefully Keppra will control my episodes but if it doesn't I'll gladly resume taking Tegretol.

Grace (NMO+ since 2005)

Comment

Tegretol

Grace, yes 200 mg 4x/day with two at night which helps me sleep great. With neurontin I could not sleep through the night. I tried only one tegretol last night and of course could not sleep through the night. I guess it is two again tonight, if I want to sleep.

Comment

Working...
      X