For those without insurance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those without insurance...

(not sure where to post this, if it's in the wrong place please move mods!)

I'm in a pickle (as are most of the people here it seems). I have no insurance and I'm experiencing a bit of an attack that may requrie prednisone/iv solumedrol/some steroids.

I suppose my only option is the ER, right? What, if any, experiences have you guys without insurance had with ER visits? Did they wind up charging you an arm and a leg? Is there anything I can do to expidite the process aside from the obvious bring proof that I have MS/meds?

Sorry you're going through right now and the issue with no ins.

Of course you're going to be charged an arm and a leg at the ER...but is it worth it? What is your flare? Is it putting you completely out of service? Is it something that you can't stick out? I would definitely weigh my options before I take on a large hosp bill that I may not need. I don't know how long you have been dxd but flares can be here today and gone tomorrow without meds.

Hope you get relief soon.
    No weapon formed against ME shall prosper
    Isaiah 54:17

Comment

I have not been in this situation but I can give you a giant hug.

There are a couple things I can think of one of them would be exactly what Pnut said.

I know where I am at we also have an urgent care and they do steroid infusions there. (I usually do mine there because it is in the same building as my docs and it is cheaper then other options for me--but I had insurance when I did them there)

I would also try to contact the NMSS chapter by you and see if they have any ideas for you in your area.

keep us posted

Comment

I have an update I just got denied for insurance and I contacted NMSS and they were very helpful with whom to contact in your state that will help you.

Comment

Haggle with your provider

The last time I had to have home infusion of solumedrol (April 2010), they billed my insurance company $300. The total allowed was $90 for the one day.

Also, Earlier this year I had to get 5 days of Solumedrol (home infusion) requiring multiple nurse visits doing new IV's and the cost billed was $2,269 but the total amount allowed was $373. Then I only paid a small portion of the revised total.

Point being, Billed amount is not at all what you should expect to pay. If you negotiate a MUCH lower rate and pay by credit card they will love you. Insurance payments can take months or years.
          DX RRMS 9/02; Rebif 12/02; Tysabri 6/08

Comment

I always haggle. I think some doctors and hospitals believe their own prices. They'll charge $300 but accept $150 from insurance.

once I had blood tests which were billed $600 to my insurance. My insurance allowed $90. Imagine that!

So if you're dealing with full price quotes, at least try to get the price in 1/2.

Comment

Working...
            X