How are you doing on Ampyra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you doing on Ampyra?

Saw my neuro yesterday and we talked alittle about him putting me on Ampyra. Said I could take that and Tysabri at the same time.

I know that there are some posts here from you all and I will hopefully get around to reading them in the next few days.

But until then, I was wondering if anyone could give me a reply on how their doing, any side affects? any improvements in their walking and balance? Is it costly? Thanks Kathy

Kathy,

I’m doing great, but once you read the other Ampyra threads you find out that the benefits and side effect vary almost as much as MS symptoms.

Right now I’d guess about 60% of the time people are happy they got on it. I would recommend trying it, but be prepared for jumping through some hops to get it. Because it is costly $12,800 per year, insurance companies are not overly eager. But I think they realize when it does work it will save them money in the long run; by increasing mobility the chances of getting a lot of costly health problems are reduced. Problems like strokes and diabetes.

Your co-pay should be same as any other drug, being there is no generic.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Ampyra

Let me start by saying I've been taking 4AP for several years, 4AP is the original Ampyra prior to FDA approval. I've heard nothing but great things about Ampyra but when I tried it, it wasn't the same as 4AP, the 4AP costs $80 a month with no insurance and frankly it works better. If this is your first drug for improved conductivity it will help you but if you compare one to the other the 4AP is better.

Comment

My experience

Hi Kathy,

I've had the opposite experience of sbander. I've been taking Ampyra for 6 weeks and have seen much more benefit than 1 1/2 years of 4-AP. I posted on the ampyra weekly check-in post. Not surprisingly, we'll all have different responses. Luckily, my insurance covered Ampyra. I pay $45 for a 3 month supply.
        Jenna
        Dxed R/R 1999 ,Avonex 1999-2003,Rebif 2003-7Tysabri 2008-2013, JC +

Comment

Hi Kathy

I was on Ampyra for 3.5 weeks it turned out to be a nightmare. The side effects were horrible Vertigo,UTI, Nausea,headaches, feet swelling and it also triggered my MS resulting feet burning, calf pain walking became worse and it affected my left eye. In my case, it did not work for me only against me. I hope this can help others but for myself i will keep searching. Good luck!!!

Comment

AMPRYA

Definitely heped me & have only been on full dose 4 2 days, no side effects 4 me.

Comment

Just started 4-AP a week ago.

I never heard of 4AP until Ampyra was approved, and then I heard 4AP was a lot cheaper. Why do you think it's better? What benefits have you gotten? I have had PPMS for more than 30 years and use a walker, so I'm wondering how much it can help me. Does the dizziness and headaches go away?

Comment

Working...
              X