Amazing story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing story

Truly an amazing story, don't know how much it helps those with MS as far as other peoples opinion regarding our disabilities.

http://news.yahoo.com/multiple-scler...235130570.html
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

That is a great story, His 50th ...wow... what an amazing man!..
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hey Scooter,

Yep stories like that are amazing. You can't deny the guy his victories, and good for him.

The only down side I see to articles like that is more the fault of the writer's (or it could be the person being written about gave them the idea but I don't think so in this case) either way, here it is in a nutshell.

The article states that by 2004 the disease left the guy unable to walk, but "unwilling to endure a life of infirmity" the guy managed to regain his ability to balance, to walk, and eventually to run, aided by new medications and PT...that was a synopsis of one paragraph. And now he's gone on to run a marathon in every state, and has more planned for the future.

Now I guarantee that more than one MSer is going to have this article forwarded to him/her by well meaning family or friends. See...if you just are "unwilling to endure a life of infirmity" you can get better.

Fortunately my family/friends don't do that anymore, but in the beginning I was getting a lot of articles on how to beat MS, or what vitamin was helpful, the latest greatest holistic cure, etc.

But more power to the guy, and if it happened for him, it can happen for other people, it's just not the norm.

Comment

I agree with rdmc

And perhaps his variety of MS is more responsive to DMD than some. Some people are just 'lucky' that way.

I just don't see that this kind of story is helpful at all, really. I'm a very optimistic person. But I see this as giving people ammunition to say, "see, there's a person with MS who can do....., why can't you?"

We get enough of that already due to the nature of the disease. People just don't 'get' that everyone with MS has a different experience. Even those with RRMS experience different rates of remission/relapse, different severity and progression, and on and on, not to mention different symptoms. Some of us (me, most of the time) have no 'visible' symptoms (yet). What about those of us with PPMS, who almost never get better, or if we do, the improvement is usually modest?

That's not to say I don't feel glad for that particular person that their rate of progression is mild, and I hope it stays that way!! The reality is, though, that he is in the minority.

Comment

That was the point of my comment
          don't know how much it helps those with MS as far as other peoples opinion regarding our disabilities.
          But it does back up my feeling that some people can do more than they think they can if they are willing to try. I know I am going to catch it over that statement,but that is just my opinion, and I did say some not all, before somebody jumps down my throat for that comment .
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Working...
          X