Difficulty swallowing with ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty swallowing with ms

I have a difficulty swallowing that involves the feeling that things I am eating get stuck, or are slow in going down. I find that drinking coke or chewing gum can sometimes get the food moved down, to the point where I not coughing or clearing my throat constantly. Just wondering if anyone else besides me has swallowing problems associated with MS?

Yes, I've had that for some time, as many of us do. trying different food can help find the better foods. Too severe swallowing problems can lead to aspiration pneumonia(which I've had a couple of times) so get more info.

Comment

Yes, swallowing difficulties are common here, lots of previous discussions. Several members have had swallowing studies. There is help for this with different strategies, sometimes medication, other treatments. I know others here will give you some good info, wish I had the time to search it for you.

Comment

swallowing

This is an interesting post. I have trouble swallowing, but it is mostly with liquids. I also have a problem with breathing and speech. Mine started with a hoarse voice off and on and gradually would get worse with time until now I am hoarse full time and can barely be heard. Shortly after the hoarseness started, I started having breathing difficulties and now swallowing liquids. I know this is an MS problem. I just don't know if it will improve. I have had these problems for 2 years, slowly getting worse.

Lois

Comment

Ditto

I have been having this issue as well. Everything feels like it is getting stuck in my throat and I can't get it to go down. Very annoying.

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone, I was beginning to feel like I was the only one. Since most with MS present with Vision problems, I presented at first with these swallowing problems. Lois, I know what you mean about the hoarse voice mine gets really hoarse and sounds breathy, and very soft and hard for others to hear me.

Comment

I have lupus, celiac and possible MS, and I've had swallowing issues periodically for 20+ years. I had an upper endoscopy done and the gastroenterologist diagnosed me on the spot with Eosinophilic Esophagitis- then the biopsy came back negative! Nobody could figure out what was going on. Now my doctors all agree it's probably the lupus, possibly MS.
              Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

My best friend is a speech therapist....we worked together for years before I was no longer able to work--- anyway, when feeling Luke u r chocking or if food gets stuck--
                1-tuck you chin
                2-clear your throat Hard
                3-swallow Hard
                Repeat! Dint drink liquids till the food has past down unless you tuck your chin into your chest!!

Good luck

Comment

Me too

Sometimes it seems like I cough every time I swallow. I used to anxiously keep sugar-free Halls on hand. (sugar free because of dental problems, which have now been treated, but I still think sugar free is better). Over time I learned that I would not choke, that water or a cough drop or probably any hard candy would solve the problem. I'm not scared anymore of inhaling something. Anything with little pieces can make me choke, especially nuts, which I love. I don't seem to be allergic to them, they just turn into little pieces when you chew them.

I used to get the Halls at the news/candy stand where I used to work. Now I'm not working, & they're not that easy to find so I'm doing without them.

Best of luck with your difficulty.

Comment

I had this problem for several years now.. BUT.. get this. I was having a gastroentrologist do an EDG and mentioned my choking issue. He said he'd take a look at that and if he thought I needed a dilation of my esophagus he'd do it.

Well he DID dilate it and wow.. no more choking. It lasted a couple of years.. when i would wake up during the night and NOT be able to swallow at all!! I would get really cold water which seemed to stimulate the nerve endings enough to get me swallowing again.

So you may want to consult a doc (gastroentrologist) about getting a dilitation of the esophagus.. its simple procedure and they put you into "twilight" sleep with Versed and Fetanyl ( the same meds used for Colonoscopies).

Good luck folks, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                    X