Have you lost your sweet tooth :/ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you lost your sweet tooth :/ ?

I have lost my ability to taste sweetness. Has this happened to anyone else? Actually I don't taste much of anything but bitterness.

No, quite the opposite!

No, and I wish I would lose my sweet tooth!

I am SO hungry all the time lately. I've gained so much weight this summer I can't stand it!

Makes me wish I could choose my MS symptoms.

Comment

nope. just getting chubbier and chubbier....

Comment

LOVE those sweets

I have most certainly NOT lost my sweet tooth. I limit myself to one sweet thing per day (Snickers bar, cupcake, scoop of ice cream, etc). The rest of my tastebuds seem to be intact, also. My weight is a testament to that. The only time I lost my desire to eat and my tastebuds were messed up is when I was getting the chemotherapy drug Taxotere.

Comment

Sweet tooth

Yes I go through periods where sweets taste bad. There are many times when everything has a bitter taste including water. I usually just ignore it. It will be normal again.

Lois

Comment

Thanks everybody. I just developed this new symptom and didn't know if it was the MS. I have not lost my desire to eat it's just that most foods taste bitter or like nothing when I do eat them. I tried straight sugar and couldn't taste it. It's a weird symptom.

Comment

Metwo,

If you have had steroids recently that might be the reason, otherwise...I don't know.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by metwo View Post
                Actually I don't taste much of anything but bitterness.
                That's bitter taste of disappointment!!!

Actually it could be a side effect from a drug.
                When I was on Lunesta, everything tasted like rust. Quit the drug and I could taste my food again.

Hope it is something that simple for you.
                I don't eat many sweets but I do find pleasure in the taste of good food.

Comment

One side of my tongue has lost its sense of taste, but the rest of my taste buds are in full working mode, so I hardly notice it unless I put something in my mouth and it only touches the left side of my tongue.

I have a huge craving for salt and the interesting thing is whenever I'm in a flare my sodium and chloride levels are always low. Sweets I can go without. I satisfy my sweet tooth with an occasional piece of dried fruit, or fresh fruit.

Comment

My taste buds work fine. I usually cannot eat for the first 3or 4 hours after waking due to nausea but around 3PM I get hungry. Problem is I crave sweet or salty. When I haven't eaten for 18 hrs and crave a Dairy Queen milkshake, my husband gets it for me. We both know it's unhealthy but somedays I cannot eat regular food.

Comment

Occasionally, former food favorites will not taste desirable to me. For example, peanut butter and strawberry jam I absolutely looove. Have it a couple of times a week. But then I will get days, or periods of days, I don't know if it's not hitting the spot, or what, but the jam is too sweet for me. I've tossed quite a few sandwiches over it. Same with cereal bars. And sometimes breakfast cereals (which is really inconvenient when it happens at the same time as cereal bars). I sit down to eat it and I just can't. And then there are other times that I'm craving something and just can't figure it out, and nothing I eat hits the spot.

The of course there are the times when my urge for sweetness cannot be overlooked. The VERY LARGE bags of hersey's kisses, reese's peanut butter cups, or M&M's are bought for the entire family....considering me and my kids, they are generally gone in two days, and that isn't with any of eating a whole lot - but dividing it up evenly four ways it goes quick. Hubby bought a regular size bag of Mary Jane's (peanut butter and molasses candy - kind of like bit o honey) and it was gone in two days (lasted that long because my oldest didn't like them), and I was surprised it lasted that long. My kids inherited my sweet tooth, but my oldest used to be more self controlled. When they were trick or treating age, the oldest would make his candy last a week, the youngest would eat it all in one night if I let him.
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I'm with you

Originally posted by metwo View Post
                        I have lost my ability to taste sweetness. Has this happened to anyone else? Actually I don't taste much of anything but bitterness.
                        I had the bitterness in my mouth twice. First time it was around for about three weeks, and boy it was awful.
                        I couldn't feel any tastes, even when I drank water it was bitter. It went away on its own, and i had it come back one more time for a couple of days.
                        This was before dx and i was trying all sorts of therapy, mostly overeating to see if anything helped me.
                        RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
                        on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
                        Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                          That's bitter taste of disappointment!!!

Actually it could be a side effect from a drug.
                          When I was on Lunesta, everything tasted like rust. Quit the drug and I could taste my food again.

Hope it is something that simple for you.
                          I don't eat many sweets but I do find pleasure in the taste of good food.
                          I actually heard that some people have the bitter taste sensation afteer eating pine nuts of chinese origin and it lingers for weeks. I wonder what they put in there...
                          RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
                          on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
                          Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X