Heat Exposure Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Exposure Question

How much heat exposure does it take to set off a flare. I realize this can be different for everyone. Just seeing if there is a bit of a trend.

Hi depuppy3:
    Are you talking about a true flare or a pseudoflare?

A true flare is an inflammatory event. It's rare for mere heat exposure to set off a true inflammatory event, so there's no concrete answer to that one.

A pseudoflare is not inflammatory, only an increase in symptoms caused by the interruption of nerve signal transmission due to an increase in body temperature. I've read sources that say a pseudoflare can occur with a rise in normal body temperature of as little as one-half degree. (Since these were American sources, I'm assuming that's Farenheit.) On average, normal body temperature varies by more than that during a diurnal cycle. Someone who is extremely heat sensitive might expect to feel a variation in symptoms throughout the day as body temperature rises and falls. In the strictest technical sense, that would mean they were having a pseudoflare every day.

Other people aren't as heat sensitive, and it takes a greater rise in temperature to trigger a pseudoflare. Some people with MS aren't particularly heat sensitive at all. That being said, it isn't uncommon for people with MS to experience an increase in symptoms when they have a fever. In general, a body temperature that hits about 100 degrees F is considered to be a fever.

So you're right -- it can be different for everyone. But if you're looking for a number, a body temperature of 100 degrees F is a fair place to start.

It's important to note that this isn't the same thing as heat exposure. Even in a low external ambient temperature, body temperature can rise significantly with physical exertion or even clothing that's too warm. In a high external ambient temperature, a body that cools itself efficiently might not reach a high enough internal temperature rise to trigger a pseudoflare. A fair exposure number would be any external temperature that causes body temperature to rise to at least 100 degrees F.

If anyone knows a source that states a threshold external temperature that would generally be expected to cause an internal body temperature rise to about 100 degrees F, where a normal body can no longer be expected to cool itself below that, while including all of the variables, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Comment

Thank You

I appreciate the clarification. Was not clear on that process.

Comment

Compliments to Redwings on the great explanation.

I had my first real flare when we had a big heat spike (from 50 to 80 degrees in 24 hrs. time), but I feel that it was only one of a few different contributing factors. As my doctor said, I had the "perfect storm" brewing to end up with the flare.

Comment

Working...
        X