Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery Tomorrow

Advice anyone:

I am having surgery tomorrow to fix my nose (car accident in 2000 with LOTS of injuries including crushed nose and it has partially colapsed since then)

So should I expect anything crazy from my MS, after the surgery, from the anistesia? Any tricks to recovering faster/better/easier. I guess I'm just nervous, this will be the first time I CHOOSE to have some surgery, and aside from 3 C-sections (I was awake for) the first time I will voluntarily be knocked out for something, since my wisdome teeth a very long time ago. Ahhhhhhhhh!
    Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Everyone is different, BUT I had an emergency colostomy!, and ran a high fever for two weeks after that, and 10 months later, another surgery to reverse the colostomy. I was very sick. My MS symptoms were mildly increased (sensory) during my sickest times, and returned to my normal state of abnormal quickly.
    So in essence, no big deal.
    Hope this helps....

Comment

I hadn't had general anesthesia since 1978 until about a year ago. I had a cystoscopy in November 2010, two kidney stents put in (Jan 2010), and two different lithotripsies (Jan & Feb 2010).

So, 4 times recently I had general anesthesia and had no troubles at all related to MS afterwards. But I know that everyone is different . . .

Comment

I had some outpatient surgery and we discussed adding steroids to anesthesia, I opted not to knowing that if I flared later I could ask for what I needed.

I also told them I tend to get nauseated with anesthesia and they add something in to counter that.

I was fine afterward and thru recovery I was perhaps a bit down for the count, but nothing major.

Best of luck with your surgery. I went with a friend for her nose repair surgery, we drove an hour away for a specific doctor. She did very well after what was a pretty long surgery. Great to hear her tell me what it is like to breath thru her nose again after years of not being able to! She has no regrets.

Comment

Surgery and MS

I was diagnosed with RRMS about 6 years ago and have been on Rebif since then (44mcg; 3x/week). I have had an axillary dissection, mastectomy, port insertion, and breast reconstruction surgery since then.

I have always made sure to tell every doctor - particularly anesthesiologists - that I have MS. Occasionally people with MS have a problem with their airway and that falls within the area of the anesthesiologist.

I am lucky that I have never had any post-surgical complications that could be attributed to MS. I have had a couple of post-surgical infections that were cleared up by antibiotics but that is about it. I have never noticed that my MS symptoms were in any way affected by the surgery or anesthesia. Don't go in to surgery expecting that you will have issues afterward. Most people do not.

Comment

WENT WELL

Surgery went pretty well, of course in recovery the vision went out in my left eye, and we all thought I had an attack. MRI's and some more tests and we discovered that I most likely got some goo in my eye from the nose surgery. because now 3 days later my eye is all better, and we discovered that the drug they use while cutting the nose for rinsing can cause temporary blindness and strange reaction s in the pupils. But all in all I am very happy and I CAN BREATH!!!! and my nose is still swollen, I can't wait to see how much better I will be breathing when the swelling is gone. yay
            Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Glad to hear that everything went well for you ! I hope it continues to improve.

Comment

Working...
              X