question about steroids....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about steroids....

I saw a recent post about steroids, but didnt want to hyjack it, but i have a question about them..

I am on a very short steroid taper, 9 days, very low dose, 30 for 3, 20 for 3, 10 for 3..
    I am on 20 right now. when i first started the 30, it helped! still had problems, but i could push thru...but seemed to "wear off" after a few hours...and sx's would come back..

Now at 20, it doesnt help near as much, but still helps, but in the evening, sx's come back, and they seem worse, but thats probably just because i had some relief from them for a bit, i think?

is that how they work is the question, do they "wear off" in the evening? last time i was on them, it was a much higher dose, and i didnt seem to have the "wear off" effect...
    or is it in my head?

tonight is bad, they wore off earlier in the day than i had hoped, had to lay down, and when i got up, my legs are numb from the knee down(this is new, my right leg goes numb sometimes, but not like this, and its both legs!) and my body seems like it wants to numb too?? tingly.... my jaw hurts, my chest hurts, i just feel WEIRD....

not sure how i am going to finish laundry ether....

maybe a stronger dose????
    your horse must be fast cuz' you were haulin' ***** when I passed you!!!!

No, steroids don't wear off in the evening like 4-hour dose of aspirin. That's why they're effective taken only once a day.

The important point about them is that steroids are anti-inflammatory meds. They aren't symptom-control meds. They don't -- and aren't intended to -- control pain, numbness, weakness or fatigue, so it isn't surprising that they aren't controlling your symptoms. The fact that they can deliver a burst of energy as part of the side effect of hyperactivity doesn't mean that they should be confused with stimulants or fatigue-treatment meds.

Since you're undiagnosed and your steroids were prescribed in response to a nonspecific lab result, there's obviously a lot more going on with your symptoms, including things that aren't related to the steroids or inflammation they're intended to treat.

Comment

that explains alot..

thank you redwings, that does explain alot! I had wondered why it was loseing effect! its helped the painful hands and most other joints, and the fevers a little....but i thought for some reason it would help the other sx's also...

this is so confusing, and frustrating! i cant have my legs going numb like that....plus all the other wierd sx's.

on a good note, i can feel my legs! just all tingly, and back and shoulders feel on fire...but my hands are ok, and i can use them, so time to finish that laundry!

i will call my pcp tho and explain the numb/tingles..he wants to be informed of that stuff so...maybe he can help..

i need to research steroids more, and see what i should expect/not expect. guess i thought that because last time they helped so much it would be the same, kinda dissappointed!

Thank you again redwings!
      your horse must be fast cuz' you were haulin' ***** when I passed you!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X