Belated MS Day wish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belated MS Day wish

Yesterday I missed the MS day festivities. I so wanted to bring it up at work, but was truly distracted by distributing news and behavior from some of my co-workers.

I will try to be more diligent in my efforts to support the needs of the MS Society. Which each amount of knowledge I gain I try to share with family, friends andd co workers.

I fell short yesterday and I apologize! People need to know and I want to see a commercial like those for Rheumatoid Arthritis or Diabetes, let people know about our struggles and the DMD that help slow the progression!

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a network of working MSers who every year got to really recognize it at the job site.

I know that we have a week of Nurses appreciation, a week of law enforcement appreciation and even secretary days.
    Wouldn't it be nice if employers(who knew) celebrated their employees with MS that show everyday..fighting the good fight.

We often wear ribbons for the weeks mentioned earlier and/or have a special luncheon. We celebrate moms. dads, grandparents..lets celebrate those of us who fight everyday, the struggles that MS can bring us and we keep on going..that is determination and strength of spirit.

I know there are days that are harder then most, but each time we make it out of bed, do a certain task no matter how small, we are winning!

Sorry, I'm now stepping off the soap box. I may be way off on my rantings..but at my work people just dont care and they need to, because MS can effect anyone, at anytime and it needs to recognized more then it is and the great people who cope with it!Thanks for listening!!

I wholeheartily agree with you!! I also wish that MS would get more attention just like MD, diabetes,RA and cancer.

All of these are important of course, but MS doesn't get in the news like the others do.

Maybe in the near future-- we can only hope!!

Comment

I AGREE TOO!!! WE DESERVE MORE ATTENTION (MS DESERVES THE ATTN. BUT I`M SELFISH)
      "Yesterday I missed the MS day festivities."
      CAN YOU MAKE ME A CAKE? MY FAVORITE IS ANGELFOOD, I`LL GET THE STRAWBERRIES FOR A TOPING (I LIVE ON A FARM WITH LOTS OF THEM).

DAVE
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Fuzzy wuzzy........

MS is not a POPULAR disease, we are a very SMALL popuation compared to diabetes or Cancer. (I am diabetic plus survived Cancer since '82).

CURE - Treatment........Cancer can be cured if caught early and diabetes can easily be treated treated. MS is much harder to treat and there is NO CURE yet.

Diagnosis...... MS is often hard and complicated to Dx. Diabetes is easy to detect w/simple blood test and cancer usually somewhere inbetween.

IGNORE MS the NOT ME syndrome...... aka that, MS, can not happen to me! NOBODY wants to even consider the possability that THEY could someday get MS. Once upon a time, and still to some degree, things like Cancer happen to OTHER people, can not happen to ME syndrome is quite common.

With things like Cancer and Diabetes so previlent in today's society, they are hard to IGNORE. Almost everyone knows a friend, co-worker, family member/relative or somebody who got one of these more common illnesses.

IGNORE MS, and MS will IGNORE me, don't I WISH!

GOMER

Comment

FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I`M ALSO DIABETIC AND THAT SOME OF THE TRIALS BEING DONE FOR DIABETES WILL BENEFIT MS PATIENTS ALSO.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Gomer you are so insightful and evrything you said is so true. I guess I have just been soooo stressed at work, by really really mean people and it mad eme think what others probably go thru.

I know that MS can be invisible to others and people can just be mean. I just want people to understand and have some compassion. Of course this is based on my experiences at work.

Most people(friends included) have been pretty good. I am at a point where I do not know where to turn. I have always loved my job, I really want to keep it..but at what price???

MS is not like cancer, My mom is a ten+ year survivor as is my dad! I have other conditions as well that are not MS related, but it seems so many people are getting Dx and you hear so little about it, except at special functions.

I guess I just want people to be nice..play well with others even if you cant see whats wrong.

Thanks for your insights..you are brillant!

Comment

M.S. = Not sexy enough

Originally posted by gomer View Post
              Hi Fuzzy wuzzy........

MS is not a POPULAR disease, we are a very SMALL popuation compared to diabetes or Cancer. (I am diabetic plus survived Cancer since '82).

CURE - Treatment........Cancer can be cured if caught early and diabetes can easily be treated treated. MS is much harder to treat and there is NO CURE yet.

Diagnosis...... MS is often hard and complicated to Dx. Diabetes is easy to detect w/simple blood test and cancer usually somewhere inbetween.

IGNORE MS the NOT ME syndrome...... aka that, MS, can not happen to me! NOBODY wants to even consider the possability that THEY could someday get MS. Once upon a time, and still to some degree, things like Cancer happen to OTHER people, can not happen to ME syndrome is quite common.

With things like Cancer and Diabetes so previlent in today's society, they are hard to IGNORE. Almost everyone knows a friend, co-worker, family member/relative or somebody who got one of these more common illnesses.

IGNORE MS, and MS will IGNORE me, don't I WISH!

GOMER
              Good and well thought-out response, Gomer, when I tell a person I have M.S., I always seem to get the 'ol, "better you than me" face!

As Richard Cohen said in his book, "Blindsided", M.S. is simply not a sexy disease.

Perhaps because you don't die from it, you just look like a blight on society-someone falling apart slowly and no longer contributing while sucking up tax payer money (not a picture I like , but I think that prejudice is there unless you are independently wealthy or you're Montel Williams or something). Kids don't normally get it, so it becomes less sympathetic in that department, too.

I feel it is my duty to educate how truly horrid this disease is, but I am too tired and sick to rally the way I wish I could! If only more healthy and energetic people who cared about us would help. I think when my daughter gets older, she'll advocate for me and the rest of us. She is one of the few people in my life who genuinely cares enough to take it a step farther, but isn't even old enough to drive a car at this point!
              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
              X