• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Diabetes

How many with MS also have diabetes?

Welcome to MSWorld, depuppy!

I have Type 2 diabetes.

There's no medical connection between Type 2 and MS, but Type 1, being autoimmune, is connected in that people with one autoimmune disease tend to have more than one.

Comment

Same as Sequoia type 2
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

MS, Diabetes (not T-2, is all they can figure),Psoriasis & thyroid issues (prob autoimmune/Hasimotos).

For many decades my neuro issues were blamed on my diabetes, so that delayed my formal MS Dx

Gomer Why settle for 1, when you can have a bunch

Comment

my man does

I almost missed this post !

My man is T1 Diabetic for 25 years , and recently dx'd with MS - in addtion several other serious issues

No steriods allowed for my man ( bipolar as well !)

I would be interested to hear from others with MS how they medicated for MS -
          Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

type 1, reynauds, psoriasis, ms. that`s enough for me!
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I had a couple rough patches before my formal MS Dx... but being DIABETIC..told to tough it out, NO STEROIDS! The general neuro at the VA 'was' planning to put me on a low dose of oral prednisone, but that was quickly NIXED.

MY diabetes is WEIRD....... Had a needle scare (diabetes) when I just turned 14, then again at age 22, (in the Navy). Then in my 30s I landed in the hospital for diabetes. There have been times my diabetes was on the brittle side, but doing great, easy now, especially with the newer insulins etc.

I just had my quarterly diabetes center checkup last week. Again, for the umpteenth time, the type-Question came up. My records have had me down for every type except double-diabetes or gestational...lol (after all I am a GUY!). The latest theory is maybe I am LADA. I have little if any insulin resistance.

I think I am going to self-proclaim my diabetes as RRDM, (like RRMS), it varies and right now BOTH are doing better than recent years. There is a LABEL (that seems closest, its type-1b) I an certainly not an 'average' Joe, neither is my diabetes, MS or much else.....lol (including my cancer,'82)

Gomer

Comment

Question

If no steriod use is done , what can be used? Have any of you with both had any luck with a particular med?

We did some research on LDN - MS Neuro said she will not prescribe , but some of her patients use it , with a rx from their Family Dr. We have a drug compounder right here in Toronto so it would be easy to get it.

He is on gabapentin for the diabetes neuropathy , and he smokes weed to help with the discomfort and to help his appetite- he has nausea off and on quite a bit.

He is scheduled for a urgent MRI within the next 2 weeks even though it was not suppose to be until Feb ! Many symptoms presenting rapidly

Thanks in advance for any info you can share
                Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

Originally posted by kif8skip View Post
                  If no steriod use is done , what can be used? Have any of you with both had any luck with a particular med?
                  I've never used steroids, not even before I was diagnosed with diabetes. My choice. I'm not all that unusual; quite a few MSers don't do 'roids.

I just rode out my exacerbations, being sure to get plenty of rest. With the exception of Optic Neuritis (and then only IV, not oral), steroids do nothing except (hopefully) speed the resolution of an exacerbation; they don't prevent lasting damage.

Comment

Working...
                  X