e-reader question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-reader question

I'm looking to get an e-reader and I'm leaning toward the kindle but my kids want me to get a nook color. I just don't know if I will be able to read books on the nook color screen. I have residual damage in my left eye from ON and I know I have a hard time with my computer screen at work. Does anyone have any experience with the screen on a nook?

Here's a previous thread on the subject.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106225

Comment

If you have a hard time with your computer screen, I vote for the Kindle.

I have issues with long term computer usage causing blurry vision. But I can read on my kindle all day with no issues. The Kindle also has WAY better customer service than any other ereader out there. Also, if you like to read at night before bed, a backlit display can cause insomnia in many people. That's why most sleep doctors recommend not watching TV just before going to bed. The light stimulates the pineal gland, and that makes your brain think it's time to wake up, not go to sleep.

The kindle allows me to change the font size on those days/weeks when my eyesight is blurry. It's amazing what a difference it makes.

I promise you, you will LOVE the Kindle; and if by some chance you don't, you have 30 days to evaluate it and can return it postage-paid if you don't like it, zero cost to you. That cannot be said of any other e-reader I know about.

Comment

I love my Kindle and would vote for that hands down. My iPad is fun to play with and would be close to the Nook Color, but reading on it drives my eyes crazy. The Kindle is just like reading a book, but you can make the font bigger

When I had my first attack I had blurry eyes and double vision (no ON, just lots and lots of inflammation in the brain) and I could still read on the Kindle. You can also download audiobooks, which are my new faves, if you eye bugs you too much.

Plus, the deals on the books are awesome.
        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

A woman that's like an older sister to me bought a nook color two weeks before I made my decision. She brought it over so I could check it out and I hated it.

Maybe I'm biased, but I know I have problems with touchscreens. I purposely wanted an eReader that I could change the font size and I only wanted it for reading books. I like the touch buttons on the edges, and no touchscreen on the kindle. I really can't think of anything I liked about the nook though. Ultimately it's your choice though. For me the nook wasn't at all a good match, and the kindle I can see being useful even if I start having eye issues again. Ever since I bought my kindle I use it like crazy.

Also, if you do go with kindle. There really isn't any reason to buy the kindle with 3G/without offers unless you travel a lot. I bought the $114 version that has the offers and the offers basically just put a screensaver on it when you power it down, and a small bar offer at the bottom when you are browsing through your book list. When you actually go in and are reading, the offers aren't on the screen. No sense in paying even more just to get rid of them. They aren't even annoying.
          Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
          Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Charliesmom,

I vote for the Nook Color. I love it. I have had my vision damaged by O.N. and was worried at first, too. But the best parts of reading books on it is you can make the print size larger and you can change the color of the background (there are several options). I like to read at night in bed, so I set the books to the night option which makes the background dark and makes the letters light.

Go to a Barnes & Noble. The stores have a display set up right in the front of the store where you can ask the person at the display questions you may have and you can play with the Nook before you actually buy it.

I have read over 30 books on my Nook in a little over a year. It takes me sometimes a month to be able to read a regular book.

Good luck!

Comment

I love my Kindle. Neuropopthomoliogist recommended the Kindle. Something about the backlighting but I do not remember exactly what she said. I also got the 114 one cause I do not care if there is an ad on the scree when I power it off and back on.

JudySz

Comment

I Love my Kindle!!!

My family gave me a Kindle several years ago when they first came out - or I heard about them anyway! It was the best present I have EVER gotten! I love my Kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I actually refuse to read a book now that is not on my Kindle!

Comment

I got the original nook when it first came out. Back then it had buttons on the side to turn pages, and I ended up having to replace one through the warranty as the button cracked. Was told it was a common problem. Hubby had gotten a Nook Color, and I was impressed with it, so as a late anniversary present, he got me one. It's much easier on the eyes for me. They either are releasing or will be releasing a new regular nook that has the 3g on it - I'm not sure if it will be touchscreen or not.

My mom got a Kindle, and she loves hers just as much as I love my color!
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I gave myself a Kindle for my birthday last year, and it's the best present I have ever gotten! LOL! The screen isn't backlit, so you don't have the glare problems, plus you can increase the font size as large as you need it. It's also very lightweight and easy to hold (which was part of the problem I was having with regular books.)

I my Kindle!
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Go with the Kindle

I'm a die hard fan of only buying "real books" (I'm only 26 but there's just something about an actual bookstore and tearing into a paperback), however my Kindle has almost converted me. It's easy read on. It doesn't strain or hurt my eyes. I have some residual vision issues from my bout with ON and after long days of staring at a computer screen all day my Kindle's screen doesn't bother me, while the screen from an iPad, etc. does.

Also, if you don't want to buy books there are TONS of free books out there.

Comment

Also, if you have a family member or close friend with a kindle, you can share an account and thus be able to share books. My Amazon account is shared by 3 family members and one friend. We don't all read the same books, but our interests overlap enough that it does save money. I just ask everyone to purchase a gift card (through Amazon), apply that gift card to the account, and use it to purchase their own books.

Another nifty thing is that your account will tell you at the top of the screen if that account has already purchased a book so that two of you don't end up buying the same book! Very handy.

Comment

I bought a Kindle but still did not think the fonts were large enough. Got the color type from QVC (often runs cheaper) and it still did not have large enough font (due to very blurry vision at that time) so I gave both to my siblings as a thank you for helping me. THEY love them~~

BUT what I did was go to my acct at Barnes and Noble and dowloaded their FREE nook app to my lap top. THAT way I can raise the font really really large..and when I can concentrate and focus THAT is where I do my reading. So I did not have to purchase yes another eReader but can enjoy it with my laptop. You can also lend out a book to another subscriber 1x..that helps some.

I would recommend trying that free app until you know you'd really read. I am glad I did not purchase another, cuz unless I am waiting for an appt.. I do not leave house much. It works for me.

eReaders come with ability to connect wi fi and surf the web and view pictures and emails.

Good luck in your choise~ Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!
                          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

thanks!

Thanks for all the responses! I mentioned that I have trouble with my eyes and computer screens and of course the gentleman at Barnes and Noble told me that no one had ever complained to him about it being a strain on the eyes. Besides, if I got the nook my kids would be playing with it the whole time! I'm going to go for the Kindle.

-Liana

Comment

Jan, did you increase the font size on your Kindle to the biggest font? Because it is huge! At least 60 point font. At that size, there's only like five words on a page. Since my eye surgery, I have mine on the next to the largest font and have to read with my right eye closed since I'm farsighted in that eye now. I do have glasses, which help tremendously, but I read in bed lying on my side, and can't wear my glasses in that position.

By the way, Kindle has a free e-reader for your computer and smart phone too. And there are a ton of free books on Amazon for the Kindle or at Pixel of Ink for both Kindles and Nooks. I've downloaded so many free books in the last month that it'll take me a year or two to read them all!
                              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X