Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of feeling in hands...

New here, abridged backstory....

I'm on the road to an 'official' dx. of MS. After 7+ years of struggling with docs and rhuemys, my NEW doc thinks that all the other docs were 'barking up the wrong tree', (Lupus) so to speak. I had vertigo 7 years ago and when my new doc went back to look at the results, apparently I had 3 lesions on my brain that were never addressed. I had a new MRI (with and w/o contrast)last week and there were more lesions and 'areas of activity' consistent with MS. (doc's words) My doc, while officially a GP has MS on both sides of his own family, so he is very familiar with the symptoms and feels that I need to see a neuro ASAP (again, his words).

Recently I've had numbness in my hands. I didn't realize just how gradually I've lost feeling until last night...I hit my knuckle on the red hot broiler and didn't feel more than a slight twinge. This morning, I have a red lesion with a blister...and still, no pain. In contrast, most of the rest of my skin is so sensitive to touch. I hate the way my clothes feel, my husband touching my arm doesn't 'feel right', I hate to be hugged anymore, and even petting my dog feels wrong.

Does this make any sense??? Sometimes I do get pain when touched at all, but mostly...I hate to be touched because it doesn't 'feel right'. I feel like I'm in someone else's skin...

Is this a 'symptom' ????

Similar sensation in legs...

I have similar issues in my lower legs. Sometimes they fell"chaffed". Rubbing,even touching them hurts. I understand the "doesn't feel right" description. This comes and goes with me-lasting for a couple of weeks at times. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Yes, It makes sense. I sometimes feel as though my hands have been gone over with sandpaper.

Did you have any enhancing lesions? that would indicate recent activity. If you have recent symptoms, they may get better in the next few months.

Comment

One of my hands now feels that way. It changes a bit how it feels on any given day, petting the cat might feel like glass strands, the sandpaper feeling is common, anything on that hand/arm feels detached. Clothing feels both odd and foreign, item's frequently feel too tight, and I'm freqently pulling, tugging, or changing how something hits my skin. On a good day it's a feeling of numbness, or tightness. My thumb seems the most sensitive.

I have to remind myself that cat hair is not glass strands, that clothing will not cut off my circulation - to be mindful to use the hand as I have and that the sensitivities are not harmful to me.

It's very odd that's for sure.

Comment

My left hand feels mostly normal during the day. But at night, when I'm trying to sleep, it burns like fire. But only the top of my thumb, the top/side of the index finger, the web between them, and up into my wrist. It's decidedly strange.

Comment

ughhhh..

this post hits home! most days i want to cut off my hands, they hurt so bad!!!! my fingers sometimes swell and get stiff, but mostly they just HURT! the only time i get relief is when they go numb!

i have lost some sensation there to, i can grab our electric fence and not feel it, kinda funny when i do people think its off and grab it...zap!

had an emg/ncs and the dr says its carpal tunnel, but my pain sx's dont match those sx's!!!

sorry you are all having these problems too..it stinks! the steroids i am on now are helping though!
            your horse must be fast cuz' you were haulin' ***** when I passed you!!!!

Comment

I have similar symptoms, only they're in my feet. Amitriptyline has stopped the burning pain I used to experience, but I still have pins and needles all the time. The bottom of my feet feel like there's something being pressed against them. Not painful, just annoying.

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses! The entire MS dx is so new to me, I'm slowly grasping at figuring out what is going on. My doc did say there were 'areas of activity' and wanted to send me to a special MS center at a University hospital. He was able to get me an appt., unfortunately it's not til December. He's now trying to get me into see a local neuro. in the mean time to perhaps get me on the road recovery faster. He's hoping that the local doc can do some more testing (something with a lumbar punch?!) and then send the results to the MS center in Dec. I talked to him and he said that my MRI leaves no doubt...I'm kinda afraid of just how bad it is. He always tells us 'just how it is', and he says I need to get on medicine to slow it ASAP.

I'm really looking for any answers, I'm still so new to all of this that I'm not sure if his reaction is normal or if it is really that bad. The waiting shouldn't bother me...I've been having symptoms for years. I guess now that they did this last test and he's all urgent, that's what is making me wonder.

Thanks again, at least I don't feel like I'm the only one with the weird skin sensations!

Comment

Hands

I have numbness in my hands; my left is worse than the right. This, in my case, doesn't mean loss of feeling, but more like a numbness. I still feel heat and cold, as well as pain. Once again we have the MS mystery. Never the same.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                  X