Shannon from Tucson, AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shannon from Tucson, AZ

I am starting to have major speech problems. I can't keep my damn jaw shut so I gave myself TMJ. I have a terrible lisp and my tongue will not cooperate. My jaw tremors and its really hard to keep my mouth closed. It looks really weird when I speak.

I AM A TRAVELING SALES PERSON!!!!!! Not anymore :-(

I really need my gift of gab.

Has anyone experienced this? Will it go away? Will it get worse? Soooooo scared and sooooo fustrated.

Any feedback would be awesome!!!

P.S. Seeing a speech therapist and TMJ person. Just want to know if it will go away or get worse.

Hello shannoncabralstark and welcome to MSWorld.

You didn't say but I am going to assume you have MS Have you spoken to your Neurologist about your speech difficulties? Your neuro could refer you to a speech therapist to see if that would help.

Take care
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by shannoncabralstark View Post
      P.S. Seeing a speech therapist and TMJ person.
      Sorry, I should have read your post better . I am glad to hear you are seeing a speech therapist. Hopefully that will help.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

shannon from tucson

Yes I do have MS. Diagnosed in 2001.

Speech therapist is helping with choking and speech but I was just curious if this is common and if someone has had this problem. I am hoping and praying it goes away like other relapse problems.

Thanks for the comment!

Comment

Hi shannon,

I've moved your thread to the General Questions & Answers forum, where it's likely to get more responses.

Thank you, Snoopy, for suggesting the move!

Comment

Sorry you are struggling hon.. HUGS!

But I am wondering if this may be a combination of events. Like spasticity, (stiff, sometimes locked muscles, hypertone) TN (trigeminal neuralgia) along with brain issues.

When I had choking problems I ended up finally get an EGD and that doc dilated my esophagus.. choking and swallowing trouble stopped. It comes back..and he performa a dilation again.. goes away.

I WAS having stuttering, slurring speech..but it came and went. Usually tells me I am having a flair.

Hope you get this corrected. Will you work again?

More hugs hon~ Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hey Shannon,

I have speech problems. The left side of my tongue doesn't work right, hasn't worked right for years. It's numbish, I have no taste on that side, and the muscles don't work right. If I stick my tongue out, it "bears to the left"

Consequently, my speech, especially the longer I talk gets more slurred and harder to understnad. I have pronunciation problems, especially with certain consonants or consonant blends. A "th" is almost impossible for me to say. Some words, if I speak really slowly, I can enunciate, but then it sounds weird because I'm over doing the enunciation.

There are certain phrases that a neurologist will have you say and repeat quickly that can pinpoint what kind of speech problems you're having: British Constitution; Baby Hippopotamus; and West Register Street. I really do okay with the first two, the last one becomes a slur that sounds like I've had one too many drinks.

So I do the best I can (I don't have TMJ problems, or the open mouth problem.) I will say that more often than not people will ask me to repeat myself, and I'm glad to do it. Sometimes it's worse than others.

I work from home, and speak to the folks at work all day, and most of the time don't have a problem making myself understood. If I'm having a bad pronunciation day, I'll let them know...and they're great.

I have found if you drink something cold, pronunciation gets even harder, not quite sure why that is. Anyway, the speech therapist will probably give you exercises and coping mechanisms. Because I can't do the "th" sound I substitute a "d" and when it's done quickly, nobody hardly notices.

Hang in there.

Comment

thanks for the email. came and went. love that part!!!

Comment

thanks!!! I am a newbie so I need all the help I can get!!

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                  Hi shannon,

I've moved your thread to the General Questions & Answers forum, where it's likely to get more responses.

Thank you, Snoopy, for suggesting the move!

Comment

thanks. really helpful.

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                    Hey Shannon,

I have speech problems. The left side of my tongue doesn't work right, hasn't worked right for years. It's numbish, I have no taste on that side, and the muscles don't work right. If I stick my tongue out, it "bears to the left"

Consequently, my speech, especially the longer I talk gets more slurred and harder to understnad. I have pronunciation problems, especially with certain consonants or consonant blends. A "th" is almost impossible for me to say. Some words, if I speak really slowly, I can enunciate, but then it sounds weird because I'm over doing the enunciation.

There are certain phrases that a neurologist will have you say and repeat quickly that can pinpoint what kind of speech problems you're having: British Constitution; Baby Hippopotamus; and West Register Street. I really do okay with the first two, the last one becomes a slur that sounds like I've had one too many drinks.

So I do the best I can (I don't have TMJ problems, or the open mouth problem.) I will say that more often than not people will ask me to repeat myself, and I'm glad to do it. Sometimes it's worse than others.

I work from home, and speak to the folks at work all day, and most of the time don't have a problem making myself understood. If I'm having a bad pronunciation day, I'll let them know...and they're great.

I have found if you drink something cold, pronunciation gets even harder, not quite sure why that is. Anyway, the speech therapist will probably give you exercises and coping mechanisms. Because I can't do the "th" sound I substitute a "d" and when it's done quickly, nobody hardly notices.

Hang in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X