Age tied to Progressive MS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age tied to Progressive MS??

"I READ SOMEWHERE THAT LATE DX MS TENDS TO BE MORE PROGRESSIVE, I HOPE THAT IS WRONG."

The above is from a post on the "senior" section. Does anyone know if there's any clinical evidence that validates this?

Thanks.
    "Tona Naze"
    Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

It may just be that when people are diagnosed later in life, they tend to have had MS for a long time before diagnosis, and thus are closer to becoming Secondary Progressive (if not already there).

My first MS symptoms showed up when I was in my early 30s, but I wasn't diagnosed until my mid 50s and was transitioning to Secondary Progressive at that time. During the 20 years or so between first symptoms and diagnosis I had a series of perplexing episodes, but no doctor ever looked at them as a whole and suspected MS.

My story is by no means unique.

Comment

Sequoia - thank you; that makes very good sense
      "Tona Naze"
      Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

My story is the same!

Comment

I was diagnosed a year ago at 58 1/2, and it was thought I had had MS for 3 to 5 years. I have been on Ty for 16 infusions, also take Ampyra, and for me, everything is stable. My neurologist diagnosed me with RRMS, and at my last MRI, there were no new lesions, the older ones were "not as active", and perhaps one showed some progression. Just recently, I feel like I have "turned a corner" and am seeing some positive changes that I attribute to Ty.

Comment

Working...
          X