Question about muscle spasms/spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about muscle spasms/spasticity

I've been getting very bad muscle spasms over the last month. Sometimes it starts off bad in the morning, but usually it starts hitting around noon or so. I know it's not positional, because it happens wherever I sit. Truthfully, it's worse if I'm sitting in the living room, because the couch and love seat don't have a very good neutral sitting position. Thus I spend a good chunk of my day sitting in my desk chair. Flexeril isn't touching it.

I'm just wondering, could this have to do with my MS, or something that I would need to see my pcp for? I really haven't had spasms of this severity before, even when my fibro was acting up badly, except when I was having back problems and needed a TENS unit. It gets severe enough that at night, I almost feel like I need my cane because the spasming is making my ankle feel so weak.

I just naturally associated this with my MS, as it's just shown up this month, when the UTI and flare started (and I just realized today that I've been sick with one thing or another for an entire month and I'm getting sick of it).

I have a PCP appointment tomorrow for a regular check up, and a neuro appointment Monday for a check up on how I'm doing after starting the Tysabri.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

hi just a guess i'd say it's the MS. Yet i'm not a doctor just guessing as you are.

Do you ever try doing any type of stretching at the beginning of your day?? that may help a bit.

good luck at doctor appointments hope you figure it out.
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I would think if you mention it to your PCP that he/she will say talk to your neuro- who will probably start with baclofen or such.

I have had spasticity for a while now and went through oral bac., zanaflex, something with a K?. botox injections and finally a baclofen pump.

Mine still gets ramped up but the pump has been great. Mine can be aggrivated still by activity or the lack of it depending on what it wants to do, temperature up or down, and position. Sometimes all I want to do is sit and rest but standing stretches out the muscles so that is what I end up doing.

Good Luck I hope you find a solution and relief.

Comment

Well, I went to my pcp today. After the four years I was being seen in a sliding scale clinic, now that I've decided to see a doctor that only takes Medicare and not Medicaid, I've been getting the attention from my primary care that I haven't gotten in four years. She actually took time with me to discuss the problems she wanted followed up from last time, and to listen to me and address my concerns. She did say it sounded like the muscle spasms were probably related to my MS. And today I got a new one at the base of my neck - it spasmed up right in her office, and it felt like I couldn't move my neck for a few minutes. And that was in the course of a fairly light spasming period. So, off I go to the neuro Monday to see what she says.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
        X