No announcement yet.

Can anyone help? Feeling hopeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all I am so sorry for ALL you are going through.

Just wanted to add the Gabapentin is the drug of choice for most neuros, but you are on a low dose. It does make you sleepy..

I started with 1 -300mg Gabapentin and it helped me sleep. It seemed the pain was worse when fatigued.

But then I got on RX Diclofenac which is a NSAIDS so remember, Ibruprofin and other NSAIDs can harm, irritate and cause ulcers if you do not take them with milk/food.

Also many neuros do not want to prescribe narcotics/opioids cuz of it can easily lead to physical addiction. So often they set you up with a pain mgt clinic..so you are closely monitored.

Baclofen AND Gabapentin or Diclofenac in my case seemed to help alot.

Good luck.. hope you get relief..just remember you are on a low dose. Docs start out low until they know you are adjusted and side effects aren't so bad.

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi - been off for a while cuz I was moving.

Sorry, Windwalker - I don't agree, I think the neuro was the right way to go. At this stage the PCP is going to defer to the neuro anyway. Pain meds are an extreme way to go and should be a last resort.

I'm not a fan of Neurontin even though it seems like a lot of people take it and i hope it works if in fact you are having nerve pain.

I have this incredible pain as well and baclofen does a good job for me. Some of my pain feels like arthritis but I haven't seen the neuro yet - new neuro, new town.

Alliesmommy - I sure hope you are feeling better. I was told that massage and/or physical therapy helps with the pain. I think BigA mentioned it somewhere. I know it helped in the beginning for me but I haven't been able to go in the last few months. Massage worked better.

take care.
      This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

I agree with Windwalker!! I'm new to Gabapenting 1800 mg per day....that being said.....my pain just LAUGHS at it. Of course it makes me sleepy....but sleepy doesn't stop PAIN. I'm also on 60mg Baclofen daily which doesn't stop it either.

I have the deep muscle pain in my legs only and my feet ball up and it feels like I'm walking on rounded stones w/more pain that makes me grit my teeth and continue on.

I started PT yesturday....I'm hoping it helps w/my leg weakness and pain.

@Alliesmom.....I truly hope you find relief soon!!! And don't hesitate to call your doc if you don't see exceptable results w/gabapentin. I always feel like a pain in the rear to my doc but anymore I don't care....I want to live my life to my fullest capabilities and control as many symptoms that I can.
        Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
        Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Hi Alliesmommy,
          I am so very sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I have been going through very similar pain. The night is the WORST! All night long I have lightening bolts of pain through my arms, legs, hand, feet and pelvis. And kind of like a restless leg type feeling. Then you get up in the morning completely sleep deprived and still in pain..

Well, I completely agree with everyone here that you (and I) don't need to live this way! None of Us are pests. We have serious diseases to which we need the care of our doctors. Besides it IS what we are paying them for, right? I just started back up on Neurontin to help with the neurogenic pain and Ambien to help me sleep through the pain since that's what wakes me up all night.

PLEASE call your dr and share your symptoms. He/she should be more than willing to want to help ease your pain.

You'll be in my prayers. Hang in there girl!

Comment

One thing I wanted to mention, OP - if you are having trouble sleeping, it would be a good idea to have a sleep study done, and get checked for Restless Leg Syndrome. You may have it and not know it, or I believe the MS can cause it as well. I had it for years and didn't know it because the typical described symptoms didn't match what I thought I was feeling. I was up all night with cramps in my legs that I had to flex or stretch a muscle to get rid of.
            Diagnosis: May, 2008
            Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Good luck! Gabapentin helps me get through the nights. It seems like the pain bothers me the most at night when I should be sleeping. I don't have anything else to do but feel the pain, y'know?

I hope this helps you find some relief!
              Melissa Goerke
              [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Working...
              X