What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

I don’t post very often but I rely on MSworld a whole lot to help me deal with MS. I apologize for the long post here but I feel the need to get it off my chest and I really do value and appreciate the thoughts and opinions of fellow MSers. My husband and family are really good but I try to minimize to them what I’m really feeling. That is how I deal with having MS and it works for me.

Having been dx for over 20 years, it appears I have accumulated over 40 lesions on the brain (too many to count) and at least 3 on the spinal cord. Over the last several years, there have been no changes according to MRI results; however I do have relapse’s every couple of years.

My symptoms are classic: Fatigue, numbness, imbalance, weakness, cognitive difficulties and bladder and bowel problems. I’m told these symptoms are a manifestation of the heavy burden of lesions. Otherwise I am healthy; good diet, weight etc. No one can tell I have MS just by looking at me. However, I feel unwell pretty much all the time. I don’t have the motivation or energy to exercise. I work part-time and when I get home in the afternoon I completely crash for hours before getting up to resume my day.

I’ve had the same neurologist for 20 years but he has now passed away. I’ve been looking for someone to replace him with no luck. Yesterday I seen a new guy and he seem quite knowledgeable. He told me pretty much the same as the others; I need to be on a DMD. He reminded me that any relapse could be detrimental. I realize this but I don’t feel like I have too many options. I have not been on a DMD in over two years, just managing symptoms. I was on Avonex for 6 years – can’t deal with flu symptoms for 5/7 days a week. I do not do will with any interferon drugs so that rules out Rebif, Beta Interferon etc. Then I tried, copaxone for six years - can’t handle the pain, lumps needles… I am absolutely done with any injectables.

I feel that my only options are Tysabri, or Gilenya and both terrify me. My other option is to not do anything and wait and see. If a relapse were to come on my neurologist said I should be put on steroids immediately; within 24 hours to prevent “disaster”! This too is terrifying!

My question to you is what would you do? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    DX 1988. Avenox for 6 years, Copaxone for 6 years and LDN for 3 years.

Well, IMHO, I would give Ty a try. There isn't anything to be "terrified" about. After a year, there is a "concern", but at this point, if it helps me, I will continue it and take that chance. The infusions are no big deal.

I did Rebif for 7 months with no improvement, so I am on Ty now (8 infusions). Although no improvement, the plus is that my MRI's a month ago showed no new lesions.

Everyone reacts differently to drugs, so there is no ideal game plan.

Good luck

Comment

I too would try Tysabri. Yes, there are concerns for a very small percentage of people. And the fact of the matter is, Tysabri is more effective than the CRAB drugs.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

There is no guarantee that not being on one of the CRAB Medications would result in an Exacerbation. It seems that you are doing pretty well, if you are uncomfortable with any sort of treatment then it may not be right for you.

My personal choice would be the Tysabri, any risk is extremely low, the Gilenya has a higher risk. I am on Avonex and have had great success with it, over a decade. So, I will stay with it.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. For now, I'm going to give LDN a shot. There has been a lot of positive feedback on it so I'm eager to get started...

Comment

Been on gilenya which did not help me, switching to Ty

Comment

Hi Teacup,

I too have had MS for over 20 years. Our symptoms sound very much the same, as well as lots of lesions on my brain and spinal cord.

I am just starting LDN (2nd dose tonight) and I am very hopeful with what it can do for me. The CRAB side effects have always seemed worse to me than living daily with MS, so I have opted to not take them.

I hope you can find a good Neuro soon that will listen to you and not just tell you the same ol stuff.

Keep us posted.
              Opiegirl, Dx 1991
              Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
              Estriol 9/12-present
              Still Hopeful.

Comment

Hi Opiegirl,
                Yes our experiences do sound similar but how did you manage without any DMD's? I did two crab drugs each for at least 6 years and I definitely think they worked even though I really disliked being on them.

Now, rather than do Ty, I'm very eager to start LDN. I'm literally waiting for my doc to call it it. So hopeful he wii do it tomorrow and that it will be perfect for me.

Please let us know how you are on the LDN won't you?

Good luck

Comment

Hi Teacup,

So far so good on LDN..night four tonight. No side effects, I can't say I notice any changes in my symptoms, but I do feel more clear headed.

Over the years the symptoms have come and gone...ON, double vision, somewhere on my body always tingling. It wasn't until recently (the last 1 1/2 years) that my leg has been an issue. Still wasn't willing to start a DMD, so I am thankful for this site and finding out about LDN. I am hopeful that it will be right for me.

Keep us posted on what your neuro says...I had to find a new one since the one at the RMMS center wouldn't even discuss it with me. I hope yours is more open minded.
                  Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                  Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                  Estriol 9/12-present
                  Still Hopeful.

Comment

Opie, I'm stoked! I have the LDN and will be taking the first one very soon. Doc advised sometime between 9-10 pm. I'm so hopeful this is going to be a fit for me.
                    Oh and I like the sound of "clear headed" so good to hear! And I'm looking forward to that side effect
                    I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Comment

LDN

I've heard positive things about LDN and my neuro has finally said there is some supportive science and results behind it. I would love to know how you do!

I was on rebif and could not tolerate it, then copaxone. I hated it, but the two times I quit I had relapses...I do the shots...but Tsy might be a good option for you.

I have really had a rough summer, and my neuro has decided to increase my steroid use. It changes my world.
                      I don't want to give up and risk more permanent damage.
                      They are all hard choices, but keep trying!

Sending you hugs. ~Tracy

Comment

Working...
                      X