when is a u.t.i. a flare up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when is a u.t.i. a flare up?

okay,so last Tuesday,numbness to left arm and leg with nerve pain(never had this kind of nerve pain) that insane virally kinda fatigue we all know about,and weakness,with having to go pee every 5 minutes. I call my neurologist,do a ua/cns they call me and it comes back positive. I am put on an antibiotic,felt so so for a few days,and now I am feeling bad again. Vertigo,pain,frequent urination,blah blah blah. I know the "if it last for 48 hours,it's a flare" theory,but maybe nt strong enough antibiotic? I have missed 2 days of work allready and am taking tomorrow off also. Your thoughts please. All I want in this life is to go to work,do my yoga,surf,paddleboard,kayak and a few other things ya know? And i push myself to do those things(i once went for a run with an iv in arm) so that the &$&% is this? A true flare or still a uti? your thoughts please.

My doc laid it out very very simply for me.
    If it lasts more than 48 hours, yes, it is a flare.... UNLESS you have an infection, fever, ect. Anything else that your immune system has to focus on means your 'flare' is probably just a pseudoexacerbation.
    So chances are, you aren't having an actual full blown flare, you are just having strong symptoms that are lasting longer because of the infection

Hope that helps!!!
    Heather

Comment

UTI is not an MS flare at all. But a flare can cause spasms in your bladder or urethra, or cause you to have a neurogenic bladder that doesn't empty all the way when you go. Spasms of the urethra or sphincters can also prevent total emptying, which can lead to infection.

I have an appt. with a urologist tomorrow because of the same thing. I get a UTI, take antiobiotics, feel better, then two weeks later, I have another UTI. I've had several cultures, so I know they're treating the right bug. My biggest issue is that my sensation is also diminished, so by the time I'm aware I have a UTI, it's often because it's spread to one of my kidneys.

I'm hoping I can get this problem solved, but I bet I'll have to have some more tests. Fun!

Comment

Any infection--flu, cold, UTI or whatever--can cause previously existing MS symptoms to worsen. That phenomenon will probably last for the duration of the infection, however long that may be.

It's not a true flare though; it's a pseudoexacerbation.

Comment

My last UTI sent me to hospital

The last time I had a UTI, I spent 4 days in hospital...I waited too long to treat infection. They never gave me steriods like I was having flare.
          [I]Tellnhelen
          Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Originally posted by tellnhelen View Post
            The last time I had a UTI, I spent 4 days in hospital...I waited too long to treat infection. They never gave me steriods like I was having flare.
            I wanted to add to this in case anyone is unclear: You should not be given steroids while in the middle of any infection. Steroids decrease your body's immune response, and having steroids with an infection (particularly the type of dosages that are used to treat an MS flare) could be like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Comment

It sounds as if your first round of antibiotics didn't kill the UTI completely. I'm currently going through that - built up just like a flare, I got a u/a done, and had a "slight" UTI - they put me on macrobid, which I unfortunately didn't remember until afterward the only times I've had extended (more than one round of antibiotics) UTI's they were treated with either macrobid or bactrim. Started feeling bad again - turns out the UTI isn't gone yet. It took until three days into the new round of antibiotics (today) to start feeling human again. And my u/a still just shows a "slight" UTI, nothing major, but it feels like it's killing me, flare wise.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                Any infection--flu, cold, UTI or whatever--can cause previously existing MS symptoms to worsen. That phenomenon will probably last for the duration of the infection, however long that may be.

It's not a true flare though; it's a pseudoexacerbation.
                know this,however,i finish up the antibiotics tomorrow,and i still feel the pseudo-flare up. As i said,it was fine for a few days while i first started the antibiotics,my questons is,do i call neuro and see if maybe i need a diff antibiotic,or do i chalk it up to a flare. I know all about pseudo-flares. anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
                  It sounds as if your first round of antibiotics didn't kill the UTI completely. I'm currently going through that - built up just like a flare, I got a u/a done, and had a "slight" UTI - they put me on macrobid, which I unfortunately didn't remember until afterward the only times I've had extended (more than one round of antibiotics) UTI's they were treated with either macrobid or bactrim. Started feeling bad again - turns out the UTI isn't gone yet. It took until three days into the new round of antibiotics (today) to start feeling human again. And my u/a still just shows a "slight" UTI, nothing major, but it feels like it's killing me, flare wise.
                  Xactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on macrobid also and that one never seems to quite do it. shall i cal my neuro and tell her,do another ua/cs and suggest bactrim,as that has always done it. macrobid seems so light. your thoughts please.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
                    know this,however,i finish up the antibiotics tomorrow,and i still feel the pseudo-flare up. As i said,it was fine for a few days while i first started the antibiotics,my questons is,do i call neuro and see if maybe i need a diff antibiotic,or do i chalk it up to a flare. I know all about pseudo-flares. anyone?
                    Yes. Call your doctor and ask about switching to a different antibiotic.

Comment

Through my Uncle's experience, it sounds like a flare. Try switching meds!!

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
                        Xactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am on macrobid also and that one never seems to quite do it. shall i cal my neuro and tell her,do another ua/cs and suggest bactrim,as that has always done it. macrobid seems so light. your thoughts please.
                        I would definitely get a different antibiotic. I was off the Macrobid Thursday, wasn't able to start the bactrim until Saturday, and from Friday until Monday I was just miserable with all of my MS symptoms coming out. It's lightened up some now, thank goodness. I just hope the bactrim does the trick. My sister (who does not have MS) said she once had a UTI that took two months of antibiotics to clear up. All I could think of was please not me, I don't think I could take this for that long!
                        Diagnosis: May, 2008
                        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
                          I would definitely get a different antibiotic. I was off the Macrobid Thursday, wasn't able to start the bactrim until Saturday, and from Friday until Monday I was just miserable with all of my MS symptoms coming out. It's lightened up some now, thank goodness. I just hope the bactrim does the trick. My sister (who does not have MS) said she once had a UTI that took two months of antibiotics to clear up. All I could think of was please not me, I don't think I could take this for that long!
                          okay so my neuro did a repeat ua/cns. ua came back normal. but i have been on macrobid?????? she said than it is working? huh? i have a fever,my tata hurts,etc,etc...she said she is gonna wait for the culture? I am half tempted to just fill an old bottle of bactrim????? i love my neuro,but huh? your thoughts please.

Comment

My recurring UTIs were a flare up

I went thru 4 months of UTIs just about every 2 weeks. My general practice doc, and my urologist had me try several different meds - kept coming back. Had a couple other symptoms also. As soon as my neuro put me in the hospital on steroids, the UTIs stopped, the bladder/urges every 20 -30 mins stopped. My neuro and I agreed - next time it happens, I will go to him sooner as it was a flareup.

Comment

Working...
                            X