Deafness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deafness

Last night my right ear suddenly went stone deaf and I don't know if it is because of MS. In 2006, during the onset
    of MS my left ear went stone deaf. I was referred to an ear, nose and throat doctor who believed the deafness was from
    MS but that I might regain my hearing in that ear and I did. In both cases I first assumed it might be due to ear wax and got ear wax removal solution at the drugstore but it didn't help. Do any of you have deafness from MS or some hearing imparement? I'd hate to never hear in stereo
    again.
    Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
    ******Surfer ED******

I've had deafness since the onset of MS

Among the many weird symptoms of MS my left ear went deaf. I didn't know whether it was from MS or not. My neuro said that he thought that mine was from MS although deafness as a symptom of MS is rare [only 6%] and usually only those who have lesions on their spinal cord get it, not those who have lesions only on their brain. The deafness was not permanent. It went away in about 2 months while I was getting Solumedrol treatments. Now, my left hear is so sharp it can hear a pin drop. This is a very weird disease. By the way, I have
    lesions only on my spinal cord.
    MS makes me feel like I'm lost in midnight fog

Comment

Loss of hearing was how I began my journey in dxing my MS. I experienced hearing loss, and went to have it checked out by an ENT. The ENT did all kinds of tests, then an MRI to see if there was a tumor that might be pressing on something causing hearing loss. The MRI showed lesions in my brain and from there I was sent to a neuro.

Hearing loss is a symptom of MS, and explains my loss of hearing. Although I loss my hearing in young adulthood, I did not ever go to an ENT to find out why. It wasn't until I was in my late 40's that I went to an ENT. I wonder if I would have found out about those lesions earlier in life and been dxed much younger if I did. Interesting though trail.

Comment

i am deaf in my rt ear, it is from ms. i had an mri of my brain and specifically of nerves that lead to my ears, and yep, lesion!
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Also how I found out about MS. Went deaf in left ear, ENT, MRI, lesion on 8th cranial nerve along with other lesions found old and new.

My hearing came back.
          Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

i get it in the left ear from time to time. never knew this was part of ms till someone told me.

Comment

Suddenly losing your hearing is a very serious thing and you should be seen by an experienced ENT that day!

It can be related to MS.

This happened to me and I was placed on antibiotics, steriods and went in every other day and had shots in my ear. I got most of my hearing back. Then I had to wear ear plugs for noise for 3 months.

He said if it is not treated right away you can perm. lose your hearing. Never treat hearing lose on your own. Always have it checked out. The sooner the better.

Comment

I don't have total hearing loss, but whenever I hear louder noise I hear a buzzing . it is irritating.

Comment

Working...
                X